The xoconostle It is one of the pre-Hispanic fruits that you should know and take advantage of, if you still do not know it, here we tell you everything you should know about it, to add it to your diet.
It may interest you: Olives to feel much better
WHAT IS THE XOCONOSTLE
The xoconostle is a species of cactus commonly known as nopalera, which produces a fruit with an appearance similar to the prickly pear but a reddish color and an acid flavor, unlike the prickly pears, the skin of the xoconostle is soft and edible.
It is mainly abundant in the states of Coahuila, Zacatecas, Jalisco, San Luis Potosí, Querétaro, Hidalgo and the State of Mexico. Sometimes it can be a bit bitter so many people prefer to use it in recipes with more ingredients and not consume it alone, you can use xoconostle to prepare sauces, juices, fresh waters, jams, liqueurs and even moles or stews with pork.
You are interested in: Benefits that sugar cane brings to your health
- It is rich in soluble fiber so it improves the functioning of the digestive system.
- It provides a large amount of vitamin C, even more than apple and mandarin, so it protects you from respiratory diseases.
- Strengthens the immune system, thanks to the fact that its vitamin A contributes to the production of white blood cells.
- Strengthens bones and teeth.
- Accelerates healing and cartilage repair, contributes to the regeneration of tendons, ligaments and skin.
- It is a good source of antioxidants that protect cells from free radicals.
- It improves the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, for a good health of the arteries.
- Its vitamin K contributes to good blood clotting.
Discover more health and nutrition tips in Easy Kitchen
Keep reading: Feijoa, the incredible fruit that you should know