With the arrival of summer, you want to try some delicious again fish and shellfishWell, July is the second season of the year that we like to enjoy them, after Lent.
But have you ever wondered what the difference is between fish and shellfish? Within this group, enter the animals that live in water and are edible, and that in turn, are divided into other large groups, which we will explain later.
If you want to know their differences, don’t miss this information and keep reading:
You are interested: 16 delicious recipes with seafood that you cannot miss
Fish and seafood: a delicacy from the sea
These are the invertebrate marine animals that, as we mentioned at the beginning, are suitable for human consumption.
Seafood is divided, in turn, into other groups, the main ones being the following:
- Mollusks: oysters, mussels, clams and tripe.
- Crustaceans: lobster, shrimp, crab and crab.
- Cephalopods: squid and octopus.
You are interested: 30 recipes with fish fillet to enjoy
They are characterized by being vertebrate animals and are also divided into three main meat groups:
- Lean: red snapper, cod and sole.
- Semi lean: bonito, horse mackerel and sardine.
- Fatty: salmon, tuna, herring and elver.
As you can see, the main difference between these two groups is that fish are vertebrates; that is, they have a bone structure. Meanwhile, invertebrates (shellfish) lack it.
You are interested: Why don’t you eat meat during Lent and Easter?
Some curiosities of fish and shellfish
- The sex of the mussels is distinguished by their color: the females are of a more intense orange tone than that of the males. However, they both taste the same.
- Octopuses are really intelligent animals: they have short and long-term memory and are also capable of solving problems.
- In the Middle Ages, it was believed that geese arose from the metamorphosis of barnacles (a species of crustacean). This belief arose under the pretext of being able to eat goose meat in Lent, a season when meat is not consumed.
- Fish and shellfish are foods full of nutrients, with high quality proteins, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, they are also a rich source of minerals necessary for the proper functioning of our body.
If you already craved a delicious recipe with fish and seafood, be sure to watch this video:
Discover more information and delicious recipes in Easy Kitchen so that you indulge yourself this season