Mexican gastronomy is full of peculiar ingredients. We tell you everything you need to know about celebrities escamoles, a popular pre-Hispanic food.
Don’t miss: Current pre-Hispanic food!
WHAT ARE ESCAMOLES
They are the eggs and larvae of black or red ants. They are distinguished by having a white and creamy color, in fact they have an appearance similar to puffed rice grains.
They are a Mexican dish that dates from pre-Hispanic times, they have a high nutritional level and a very peculiar flavor. They are mainly produced in the region of the State of Mexico, Hidalgo and Tlaxcala.
You are interested: What is papalo and why is it so popular in taquerías?
FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS DISH
- Its name comes from Nahuatl azcamolli, azcatl means ant and molli stew or sauce.
- They are also known as chiquereyes, huigues or maicitos.
- It is harvested every year during the months of mallet and April.
- The production is very limited and the harvest is complicated, so they are an expensive food.
- Ants build their nests underground, generally under cactus plants, mesquite trees, lollipop trees or the base of a maguey tree.
- To collect them, a hole of 2 to 3 meters must be dug until the nest is found, at the end they must cover it again so that the nest regenerates.
- Climbing ants are usually very aggressive.
- A nest takes around 3 to 5 years to have a good production.
- They provide a large amount of protein, four times more than meat.
- Due to its cost it is considered as “Mexican caviar”.
- In addition, it is recommended to cook them with few ingredients so as not to affect their original flavor.
You are interested: What is xoconostle and what are its benefits?
HOW TO PREPARE ESCAMOLES?
- 1 cup of chopped white onion
- 100g butter
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 green serrano pepper, chopped
- 400 g of escamoles
- 2 tablespoons of epazote leaves
- Salt to taste
- First, sauté the onion with the butter and oil in a skillet.
- Add the chili and escamoles, cook until they turn white.
- Finally, season with salt and epazote, mix for a couple of minutes and remove from the heat.
Learn more about your favorite foods in Easy Kitchen