Surely the question has ever crossed your mind:what are beta carotenes and what benefits do they bring you? If this question is still haunting your thoughts, keep reading because we will briefly and quickly explain this topic to you.
Learn more, eat better and live healthier! Discover the multiple benefits that beta-carotenes provide you to maintain healthy skin and enviable eyesight, among many more that we list here.
You are interested in reading: Everything you need to know about celery and its properties
What are beta carotenes and what benefits do they bring you?
Beta-carotenes are compounds among which there are pigments that give the typical orange or yellow color to a wide variety of vegetables and fruits.
They are also present in other green leafy or dark green vegetables, such as spinach or the broccoli.
Do not miss: 6 infallible vitamins for healthy skin
- Beta-carotenes are a precursor of vitamin A, that means that they keep our vision and skin, mucous membranes and bones in good condition).
- They help prevent cell aging as they reduce the effect of free radicals in the body.
- They stimulate the immune system, strengthening the body’s natural defenses. In addition, they favor the production of white blood cells, the body’s protectors.
- They help to take care of the skin, as they also activate melanin, a natural protection of the body against the harmful rays of the sun.
- They prevent the appearance of heart diseaseas they also offer protection against damage related to “bad” cholesterol in the blood.
- They reduce the risk of developing some type of Cancer.
- They protect the eyes from cataracts and prevent dry eyes due to various factors.
- They help reduce stomach ulcers thanks to their protective action on cells.
- Some of the foods that contain beta-carotene are spinach, purslane, carrots, watercress, squash, tomatoes, asparagus, chard, basil, papaya, bell pepper, melon, guava, mango, tangerine, peach and orange among others.
You are interested in: 9 foods high in protein and low in carbohydrates for a balanced diet
What foods contain beta carotenes?
- Carrot is the main food where you can find beta carotene, and you can consume it both raw and cooked to take advantage of its benefits.
- Orange squash, such as Castilla or butter, also contain them in considerable quantities.
- They are found in greens and vegetables, especially those that are dark green in color, such as chard, broccoli, spinach, and dandelion.
- As for fruits, these are contained in bananas, apples, oranges, plums, peaches, papaya, nectarines, melons, mangoes and apricots.
- Raisins are a dried fruit that also has beta carotene.
If you want to know recipes still in Easy cook. Enjoy your meal!
Learn more good foods for your health and nutrition on Easy cook