The black truffle or tuber melanosporum season in our country runs from December to MarchAlthough the heart of the season focuses on the months of January and February, the month in which most restaurants in the province of Soria and Teruel make menus and conferences dedicated to the precious mushroom.
The black truffle continues to grow wild or spontaneous in some areas, although most of those who have fields of oaks prefer to use the mycorrhizal varieties bearing tuber melanosporum spores in its roots.
The black truffle and other varieties of truffle
The prized Alba truffle or Italian white truffle, (the one on the right in the photo) is a much more aromatic variety than the black truffle on the nose, but it provides very little flavor in the mouth compared to the melanosporum. One of the reasons for its high price is that it only grows wild and has not yet been cultivated like the black truffle.
The chinese black truffle, small in the center of the photo, it is a much cheaper truffle but it closely resembles the black truffle. The biggest difference is in its aroma, reminiscent of glue and in its pattern of white spots, very different and scarcer than that of the real black truffle.
The burgundy truffle It is a dark nose on the outside but whose cut is brown on the inside. It is the one on the left in the photo. It is a highly appreciated truffle, especially in France, but it has less culinary value and a lower price than the black truffle of our country.
The black truffle, the big one in the center of the photo, comes from holm oaks with their truffle or mycorrhized roots in greenhouses, which are then planted and take approximately three to five years to begin to bear fruit. A good number of farmers in the province of Soria, -and also in Burgos, Teruel, Valladolid and Castellón, among others- are dedicated to this product.
This is well known at Encitruf, a company dedicated to tourism focused on truffles., with visits to hunt truffles accompanied by his dog Moon or his popular pig named Noise. They are also in charge of preparing the holm oaks in their greenhouses to market them once mycorrhized, so that other producers can also dedicate themselves to this business.
After touring the farms and seeing the smell of their two animals work, we return with the treasures that will be weighed after their first cleaning and kept in perfect condition so that truffles can dispense their aroma and flavor to numerous culinary creations such as the ones we now propose or as the one that was champion as the best truffle recipe in the world.
Potato and truffle omelette recipe
We will start this recipe a few days before, since we will have stored our truffle in a container, in which we will have stored some eggs. Every day we open the container for a few minutes so that the truffle breathes and if we want, we can use an absorbent paper that we change every two or three days, which removes excess moisture so that the truffle does not get moldy.
I’m coming truffling the eggs six by six and thus they already have a very rich flavor without further additions. This is how I take advantage of the large truffle that I “hunted” a couple of weeks ago, as I was telling you here when I told you about the black truffle or tuber melanosporum
To make the potato and truffle omelette, fry the potatoes cut into thin slices and mix them with the beaten eggs, to which we can add a little more grated truffle. Then we curdle the tortilla in the usual way, -for me it is better a little curd but I leave it to your liking- and we serve it, grating another little truffle on top of the tortilla.
More details here
How to cook a truffle omelette without costing you a pasta
If you prefer to save money, you can use the tricks that Carmen tells in an interesting post about how to cook a truffle-flavored omelette while saving using truffle and mushroom flavored potato chips.
- Ingredients: 150 g of Mushrooms, 130g Potato chips with black truffle, 6 Eggs, a pinch of salt and extra virgin olive oil
- Elaboration: We clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth or a brush to remove any traces of soil that they may contain. We separate the feet from the hats and cut both into thin sheets. Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan and sauté them for a couple of minutes over medium heat. We booked. Beat the eggs in a deep bowl and add the bagged black truffle fries. We let them soak for 10-15 minutes and stir from time to time to facilitate the operation. Add the mushrooms and season to taste. Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan, pour in the mixture and curdle the tortilla to taste.
More details here
Asparagus and truffle omelette
- Ingredients: Wild asparagus, 12, Large shallot, 4, Eggs, 4, “False” or preserved truffle, 1, Extra virgin olive oil, Salt
- Elaboration: We put a little olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the shallots together with the green wheat fields once they have been cleaned and chopped. We reserve the tips to add them a little later as they are done right away. Once everything is poached, add two pieces of chopped truffle, give it a few turns and sauté for another minute. We pass the mixture to a colander to remove the excess oil. We leave a few drops in the pan, enough so that the tortilla does not stick. Beat the eggs and add a pinch of salt, add the asparagus and truffle mixture, and add to the hot pan. We make the tortilla on both sides for a few minutes, leaving it to the point that we like, juicy is always better, but if you like it more done, leave it a little longer. We serve hot or cold, as we prefer, although freshly made it is delicious.
More details here
Truffled eggs with straw potatoes
With a small piece of tuber melanosporum placed in a closed bottle next to the eggs, it is possible to aromatize them because the shell is porous and allows a lot of aromatic power of the truffle to pass to the egg. Then, we can use the eggs to fry, to make an omelette, etc., getting to enjoy the flavor and aroma of the truffle, without having to spend it.. But, if you want a powerful truffle hit in each bite, the dish is greatly improved if you accompany it with some french fries and a little more grated truffle on top.
- Ingredients: 2 very fresh eggs, 1 potato, extra virgin olive oil, salt and fresh black truffle a little piece
- Elaboration: After having had the chicken eggs with the truffle pieces in a sealed glass container for a few days, we have everything ready for our dish today. We start with the straw potatoes that have been around the longest. With a mandolin, we cut the potatoes into a very fine julienne and then we let the small potato sticks soak for a long time to release their starch. After 15 minutes, drain the potatoes well in a colander and fry them in plenty of hot olive oil. Afterwards, we drain them well and put them on the base of the plate. Next, we put the pan with plenty of oil to heat to fry the eggs to taste. I usually use a frying pan only for eggs, as my mother and grandmother used to do, so that they never stick or break as there are never any remnants of other fried foods or any scratches produced when cooking or scrubbing. Some people prefer very white fried eggs and others with crunchy tips. To obtain one or the other, it is essential to regulate the temperature of the oil to taste so that the eggs are fried slowly if you want them whiter or in very hot oil if you want them golden and with lace. To enjoy the truffled flavor more, I preferred to make them at medium heat so that there was not too much crunchy toast. The last step, after placing the truffle eggs on the potatoes, is to grate a small portion of the truffle over the eggs. The truffle is very grated since with a good grater we obtain many shavings, which we can enjoy by sprinkling them on the eggs or to prepare some toasts by dressing the truffle with a good quality oil.
More details here
Pasta elbows with truffle sauce
- Ingredients: Short dry pasta elbows, sharks, etc, 150 g, Fresh black truffle to taste, Pecorino Cheese, 50 g, Liquid cream for cooking, 150 ml,
- Elaboration: We start by cooking the pasta in salted water, but directly in a pan. As the manufacturer’s instructions said that this short pasta variety would need 11 minutes, we left it to cook for 8 minutes in plenty of water. Then we will finish cooking it with the sauce. While the pasta is cooking in the salted water, we take advantage of the time and gradually grate the pecorino romano cheese and the black truffle or tuber melanosporum. A little bit is enough to add flavor and color to our recipe. After eight minutes of the first cooking, drain the water leaving a pinch in the pan and add the liquid cream, letting the pasta finish cooking for another 3 minutes in this new liquid. When the bubbles in the cream start to swell, add the pecorino cheese and a large part of the grated truffle and let it cook for an extra minute. We serve quickly and at the table, sprinkle each serving with a little more grated truffle.
More details here
- Ingredients: Wheat flour, 415 g, Eggs, 4, Extra virgin olive oil, 35 g, Grated fresh black truffle, 50 g, Grated Parmesan cheese, 50 g Cottage cheese, 250 g, Butter, 40 g, Ground black pepper, Water , 1500 g, Salt, Liquid cream, 200 g
- Elaboration: To make the dough with Thermomix, put 400 g of flour, eggs and 20 g oil in the glass and knead 2 min / speed spike. If we do not have a Thermomix, we put those ingredients in a bowl and knead them until they are all well integrated. We form a ball with the dough, put it in a plastic bag and reserve it in the fridge for 15 minutes while we prepare the filling. To make the filling with Thermomix, put 15 g of grated truffle, 20 g of grated Parmesan, the cottage cheese, 20 g of butter and a pinch of pepper in the glass. Mix 15 sec / speed 3. To make the filling without Thermomix, put these ingredients in a bowl and …