A little in advance of previous editions, we already have here the new list of The 50 World’s Best Restaurants, the -supposed- best restaurants in the world. It is, together with the Michelin Guide, the list with the most repercussion and prestige in the gastronomic world, which despite pretending to be objective and plural always sparks controversy. This year has surprised many because the award crosses the Atlantic to elevate New York’s Eleven Madison Park as the best restaurant in the world.
The top positions in this ranking have been playing with almost the same names for years, and the truth is that it is difficult to imagine which restaurant more or less deserves a better position. In any case, as with all prizes and listings, they are subjective ratings with a relative value and will never be to everyone’s taste. It is also intended to promote conversation, debate and the exchange of experiences between the main figures of world cuisine.
The Academy, the list and its awards
What is this list about and why is it so important? The World’s 50 Restaurants Academy aims to offer a annual vision of the world gastronomic scene based on the opinion and experience of its members. It is made up of more than 1000 experts in the world of gastronomy, including critics, journalists, chefs, writers and other professionals and gourmets reference of the world.
Each year there are 25% of new voters, who in this edition complete a list of 1040 experts. They belong to 26 different regions of the world and each one of them contributes 40 voters, each of which selects 10 restaurants to vote on. Although the votes are based on the criteria of each participant, there are some basic rules: each voter must have visited the restaurant at least once in the last 18 months, they can only vote a maximum of 6 from their own region and the process always it is anonymous and confidential.
Sponsored by S. Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, although there is talk of a list of the 50 best in the world, in reality the Academy establishes a complete ranking of 100 restaurants. In addition, different prizes are awarded, some announced weeks in advance. For example, Heston Blumenthal has received the Diners Club® Lifetime Achievement Award (lifetime achievement award), Ana Roš from Hiša Franko in Slovakia has been recognized as Best Female Chef (best female chef) and the young Enjoying Barcelona is the One to Watch Award (restaurant to watch) this year.
List of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2017
So things, Celler De Can Roca drops to third position, also taking the award Art Of Hospitality. Of the other Spaniards on the list, Etxebarri has risen to 6th position, Mugaritz appears in position 9, Eneko Atxa’s Azurmendi has fallen to 33, Arzak has also fallen some places to 25, and Tickets has risen to 20 Quique Dacosta has fallen this time from the top 50.
- Eleven Madison Park (New York, United States)
- Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
- El Celler de Can Roca (Gerona, Spain)
- Mirazur (Menton, France)
- Central (Lima, Peru) – Best restaurant in America
- Asador Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)
- Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand) – Best Restaurant in Asia
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Mugaritz (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns (New York, USA) – Best position climb
- L’Arpège (Paris, France)
- Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France) – Re-entry
- André (Singapore)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- DOM (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Le Bernardin (New York, United States)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Alinea (Chicago, United States)
- Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
- White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)
- Amber (Hong Kong, China)
- Tickets (Barcelona, Spain)
- The Clove Club (London, UK)
- The Ledbury (London, UK)
- Nahm (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris, France) – Best New Entry
- Attica (Melbourne, Australia) – Best Australasian Restaurant
- Astrid and Gastón (Lima, Peru)
- From Librije (Zwolle, The Netherlands)
- Septime (Paris, France) – Sustainable Restaurant Award
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London, UK)
- Saison (San Francisco, United States
- Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
- Relae (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Cosme (New York, United States) – New York
- Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai, China)
- Boragó (Santiago de Chile, Chile)
- Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy) – New entry
- Brae (Brirregurra, Australia) – New entry
- Den (Tokyo, Japan) – New entry
- L’Astrance (Paris, France)
- Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
- Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
- Tegui (Buenos Aires, Argentina) – New entry
- Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
The list with the restaurants located in positions from 51 to 100 it was published a week earlier. In it we found the Spanish Martin Berasategui -position 77-, Quique Dacosta -position 62-, Nerua -position 56-, and Enjoy -position 55, new entry-. So, in total, in the list of the best 100 restaurants in the world there are 10 Spanish representatives.
More information and photos | The World’s 50 Restaurants
Directly to the Palate | The list of the 50 Best Restaurants is here. Do I posture as Dabiz Muñoz says?
Directly to the Palate | El Celler de Can Roca returns as the best restaurant in the world