In Mexico there is a great variety of vegetables that give a very special flavor to typical dishes. Among them, the tomato. In turn, it has many varieties. Here we present the types of tomato and its most common uses in the kitchen.
The tomato: a gift from America to the world
Native to Central America, it is fundamental in gastronomy. The types of tomato are the base of sauces, soups of all kinds, salads and much more throughout the world.
Its name comes from Nahuatl and means “fat navel”. And it is that this vegetable is very juicy, and its shape reminds us of a navel.
You’re interested: 25 delicious recipes with tomato
Tips to preserve your tomatoes
- They can be found in the market all year round. However, summer is the best time to buy tomatoes and find a greater variety.
- Take advantage and buy them in local markets. Or if you prefer, you can plant them in your garden, as they take up little space and can grow in a medium pot.
- The best way to store them is at room temperature.
- Put the semi-ripe tomatoes in paper bags so they are ready soon.
- Use a sharp knife to cut them.
- To peel them, make a cross-shaped cut at the top, stretch, and peel off the skin.
- Most tomatoes are used to make sauces. Also for stews, soups and salads. But you can also serve them on their own to eat as snacks.
Find more useful cooking tips in Easy Kitchen