The orchids They are one of the most beautiful plants and whether you buy it or have been given one, we suggest you follow our advice to take care of it.
What are they?
They are a family of plants that is distinguished by the complexity and beauty of its flowers, there are around 25 thousand species, so you can find it in all sizes and colors. Although you can find them practically anywhere in the world, except in desert or polar regions, they tend to occur with greater abundance in intertropical climates.
The most popular orchids are the Phalaenopsis, which are usually white or mostly purple. In general, contrary to popular belief, they are very easy to care for and maintain, making them perfect for your home.
You are interested in: The best 5 plants for the kitchen that you should know
How to properly care for your orchids?
- Choose a good place: It should have light but it does not need direct sun, the ideal is near a window or terrace.
- Yes to humidity, orchids need a humid environment but their soil should not always be humid to avoid the production of fungi.
- Water them once a week or once every ten days. According to the season of the year.
- Check their leaves and the color, if they turn dark green it is because they require more light or if they are red it is because they are having an excess of light.
- Cut the stems only if they are dry, otherwise they can still re-bloom.
- Add some nutrients to the soil to encourage its growth.
- If you put them in a garden, take care of them from snails and slugs that can become a pest.
- Transplant to a larger pot if you notice the roots beginning to protrude over the edge of the pot.
- From March to October it is recommended to add some special fertilizer to the soil.
- The temperature indicated for orchids is 23 ºC maximum and 9 ºC minimum.
- If you live in a very dry place, place some stones in the pot to help keep them moist.
- Add some supports as a guide for the flowers.
Discover more tips for your home in Easy Kitchen