There is always a first time for everything and this time you have to prepare a delicious rosca de reyes. Do not worry! We are going to share the best tips to make it, and we also give you a delicious recipe that you will surely crave. Let’s do it!
It may interest you: What is the true meaning of the Child in the thread?
Tips to make your rosca de Reyes for the first time
Check the ingredients
- It is very important that the ingredients you are going to use are at room temperature, including the butter, which should not be melted or runny (to integrate it better, you can break it into small pieces).
- Use the correct yeast, and this is the baker’s yeast. It can be fresh or dry, although fresh can give you better results.
- The fresher the ingredients, the better your bagel will taste, especially butter and eggs.
Do not miss: Discover the best recipes to prepare the traditional rosca de Reyes
To make the dough
- To knead, we recommend that you grease your hands, as this will make it easier for you to handle it and give it the shape you want.
- Use pre-leavened or pie dough. If you don’t use it, you can separate a part of the flour, milk and yeast and let it ferment. Later you just have to add it to the final dough.
- You must knead until the dough is smooth, elastic, soft and slightly sticky. Do it until you get this result.
- Always add the butter last, once the dough comes together. Integrate it completely. If you find that the dough gets too hot and starts to melt, let the dough rest for a few minutes.
- Check that the dough is tight so that it rises correctly. This takes practice. Don’t worry if it doesn’t fit you the first time.
You are interested: Origin of the Magi and the thread
To ferment and bake
- Give the dough time to rise. One way to check that the dough is ready is to press it lightly with your finger. If the dough gives way and the mark remains, it is because it still lacks a bit. If it feels tense, it is ready.
- Bake the first minutes at high temperature, 5 minutes at 200 °, then lower it to 180 ° and finish cooking for 20 to 25 more minutes.
- Finally, let it cool on a rack. If you are not going to decorate it immediately, you can keep it in cling film.
You cannot miss: Discover the origin and meaning of the thread
What to put on your rosca de Reyes?
- The traditional decoration is with dehydrated fruits, however, we have other ideas to give it another taste and appearance:
- Use melted chocolate and crushed nuts (they can be walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and even pistachios).
- You can also make a very delicious one with red fruits (raspberries, blueberries, cherries and blackberries).
And the dolls?
- You can buy the dolls in department stores and bakeries. If you can’t find them, you can put whole nuts or raisins instead.
- Another beautiful tradition is to put the chocolate figures of the birth and that each one finds a different character. But only the one who takes out the Child gets the tamales!
It may interest you: Was it a star that guided the Three Wise Men?
Rosca de Reyes recipe with cheese and jam
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- 6 cups of wheat flour passed through a strainer
- 5 tbsp. of warm water
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 2 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. vanilla essence
- Corn oil spray
- 1 cup of vegetable shortening
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 packages of cream cheese in strips
- 1 bag of condensed milk
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 cup strawberry jam
- 1 egg to varnish
- 2 cups of red fruits Whipping cream
- Plastic dolls or birth figures
- Mix the yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar and with the warm water, wait for it to double in volume.
- Form a source with the cups of flour, the ¾ of sugar, pour the fermented yeast, the evaporated milk, 1 egg, the butter, the yolks and the vanilla in the center. Mix the ingredients to form the dough. Knead and beat against the table until it is smooth, elastic and does not stick to your fingers. Place it in a previously greased container, add a little oil on the surface of the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit until it doubles in volume.
- Besides, beat the butter with the icing sugar and the condensed milk until integrated. Add 2 cups of flour with the baking powder, beat until integrated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Reservation.
- To form the thread, place the dough on a previously floured surface and roll with the help of a rolling pin to form a rectangle, fill with the cheese and the jam, and place a little doll, roll, cut in half to form 2 threads and join the ends of each. Add a little oil to the surface of the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand until doubled in volume.
- Varnish with a beaten egg and with the rolling pin, spread the sweet pastry on a floured surface. Cut into thick strips and place over the threads. Bake at 185 ° for 35 minutes. Let cool and decorate with the fruits and whipped cream.
Discover more tips and ideas to prepare your favorite seasonal recipes in Easy Kitchen