Spanish gastronomy could not be understood without its rice dishes, with a multitude of traditional recipes spread throughout all regions. But in summer, the seafood dishes are the ones that take center stage, from the classic paella to the soupy ones; rice dishes with fish and seafood triumph along our coasts between locals and tourists.
The wealth of seafood and traditional good work offer us a very varied rice cookbook that is also worth tasting at home. Cooking a category rice is not difficult, you just have to have good ingredients, watch over the cooking and do not forget the importance of stir-fry and broth: the tastier it is, the richer our rice will be.
Five classic seafood rice recipes to succeed
1. Seafood paella
Star dish of Spanish gastronomy that is repeated throughout our country, with special relevance in the Mediterranean coastal regions. In each house it is prepared with its special touch, but rice is always should be loose, be cooked just right and with its characteristic sea flavor.
- Ingredients for 4 people. 1 l of Aneto natural broth for seafood paella, 1 clove of garlic, 1 green pepper, 300 g of bomba rice, 10 prawns, 200 of cooked mussels, 150 g of cooked clams, 1 squid or cuttlefish cut into rings, 80 ml of oil of extra virgin olive, salt and lemon.
- Elaboration. We heat the Aneto broth for paella over a very low heat, without boiling. Chop the garlic clove and cut the pepper without the seeds into small pieces. Brown the prawns in the paella with a little oil and salt and remove quickly. Heat the rest of the oil and fry the pepper with the garlic clove. Add the squid and fry until golden brown. Add the rice, sauté for a couple of minutes and add the broth. Let cook over high heat for 5 minutes, lower the heat and leave 2-3 more minutes. We continue cooking for 10 more minutes, add the mussels, clams and prawns, separate from the heat and cover, letting it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
2. Rice a banda
A classic of Valencian cuisine, of very humble origin since it began as a dish of fishermen who cooked using the whitebait from the fishing and that at the beginning was more soupy. Today it is very similar to the gentleman’s rice, and it is recognized because the accompanying fish and shellfish are already peeled and ready to eat without having to stain your hands.
- Ingredients for 2 people. 700 ml of Aneto natural broth for seafood paella, 180 g of Bomba rice, 100 g of clean day fish, 100 g of clean squid, 100 g of cooked clams without shell, 100 g of peeled prawns, 60 ml of olive oil extra virgin, salt and aolioli to serve.
- Elaboration. We heat the Aneto broth for paella over a very low heat, without boiling. We cut the clean fish and the squid into cubes of the same size. Heat the olive oil in a paella pan and fry these ingredients together with the prawns, letting them brown for about 5 minutes over medium heat with a pinch of salt. Add the rice and sauté the whole for a few minutes. Finally we add the hot broth, boil first 8 minutes over high heat and finish the cooking for 10 more minutes reducing the temperature, leaving a honeyed point.
3. Creamy rice with carabineros
This dish shows that with few high-quality ingredients you can prepare a luxury rice for all occasions. The final point depends on the taste and type of rice, so it is advisable to reserve part of the broth to add more little by little as cooking needs.
- Ingredients for 2 people. 900 ml of Aneto natural broth for seafood paella, 200 g of Bomba rice, 8-10 peeled prawns, 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil, 30 ml of white wine, a pinch of saffron, salt.
- Elaboration. We heat the Aneto broth for paella over a very low heat, without boiling. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and brown the prawns well with a little salt. Add the wine, add the rice, sauté for 2 minutes and add the broth with the saffron. Stir well and cook over high heat for 6 minutes. We lower the power and continue the gentle cooking for another 12 minutes, until the rice is just right.
4. Rice with garlic and squid
Typical dish that is repeated in coastal towns throughout the country, adapting to local and seasonal ingredients. Garlic or young garlic and squid or cuttlefish are two classics of the Levantine and southern regions, in that combination of seafood and vegetables so traditional.
- Ingredients for 2 people. 600 ml of Aneto natural broth for seafood paella, 180 g of Bomba rice, 200 g of clean cuttlefish, 1 spring onion, 60 g of clean garlic sprouts, 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- Elaboration. We heat the Aneto broth for paella over a very low heat, without boiling. Lightly peel the garlic sprouts, cut them into small pieces and chop the chives finely. Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the chives with a pinch of salt. Add the garlic sprouts, sauté briefly and add the squid, letting them brown. Add the rice, sauté a few more minutes and add the broth. Let it boil for 10 minutes over high heat, lower the heat and cook for 10 more minutes.
5. Soupy rice with lobster
It’s a rice especially recognized in the north, where local lobsters give all the personality and flavor to a dish that can be soupy or drier, depending on the chef’s touch. Correct the texture of the casserole by adding more broth is essential to achieve a perfect result.
- Ingredients for 2 people. 1 liter of Aneto natural broth for seafood paella, 180 g of Bomba rice, 1 medium open lobster, 1 small spring onion, 1 clove of garlic, 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil, sweet paprika, saffron and salt.
- Elaboration. We ask the fishmonger to open the lobster for us and separate it to have it ready to cook. We heat the Aneto broth for paella over a very low heat, without boiling. Finely chop the chives and garlic and poach them with the olive oil and a little salt in a saucepan. Add the lobster and fry for 5 minutes. Add the paprika, stir and cook 15 minutes. Add the rice, sauté for a minute and add the broth with a pinch of saffron. Cook over low heat for about 18 minutes, ensuring that the broth remains and the rice is just right.
The secret is in the broth
Why do great chefs’ dishes have so much flavor? Professionals know that it all starts with cooking a good broth, for which you cannot skimp on the quality of the ingredients. It is the base on which the soul of the kitchen is based, marking the flavor and aromas of stews, sauces, pasta, soups, creams and, of course, rice.
Rice is a cereal that needs to be cooked to become edible, and, depending on the variety, it can absorb up to three to four times its volume in liquid. That is why it is key to have a classy broth that turns rice into a seamless texture tasty snack. If it is not cooked well, a rice dish will never be fixed no matter how much makeup is done.
But obtaining a quality broth is not always easy, you must have good raw material and dedicate your time, starting with a good sauce prepared calmly, without haste. Luckily, today we can prepare yummy rice as our grandparents did, but much easier and faster.
Because Aneto makes its broths exactly the same as it has been done all its life in homes, only with the best natural fresh ingredients, without additives or concentrates, and simmering them to extract the maximum flavor. And each variety has its own unique elaboration, to guarantee the best results in each home recipe.
Thus, the Aneto natural broth for seafood paella begins with a vegetable stir-fry in which they can not miss saffron and paprika, essential spices that give that unique personality to the seafood rice dishes of our coasts. Then only shellfish and natural rock fish are added, cooking with fish broth over low heat for two hours.
Rice can be cooked in a wood-fired oven or on an induction hob, it can be soupy or dry, but you can never skimp on the quality of your ingredients. Thanks to the versatility of Aneto seafood paella broth, everyone can prepare an exquisite traditional seafood rice easily, in less time and with the same flavor as always.
Photos | iStock.com/Maleka85 – Raul_Mellado – LUNAMARINA – efesan – Pakus