I am one of those people who always needs to have a box of homemade cookies. In my family, Swiss were only bought when we went to visit, and precisely because I wanted to enjoy them more often, I learned to bake them myself. There is so much variety that you could not choose just a few! But there are undoubtedly certain cookie recipes that succeed more than others.
Some are very thin and crunchy, others are more tender or even bisque, flaky or smooth, with chocolate, nuts, cereals or seeds, decorated or rustic, round or with fun shapes, stuffed or glazed … With so many different types, which ones? Do you think they are the five most searched cookies on the Internet? I’m sure almost all of them are among your favorites.
1. Shortbread cookies
In number one of this top they had to enter these cookies or the following ones, any other option would have been very strange. Shortbread cookies are the mother of all cookies, although they can also be made with other fats or with no other fats. There are delicious oil cookies, others prefer them with butter or peanut butter, and they can be very tasty just with eggs … but there’s nothing like the delicious taste and texture of good shortbread cookies.
Investing in good quality butter is a must for them to be truly tasty, and I would recommend not making them too sweet. The most basic recipe serves as a base to decorate them, to fill them or to add other ingredients, such as chocolate chips, coconut or almonds. We can also play with the shape to find different textures, letting it cool for several hours or directly forming more or less flattened balls.
- Ingredients for 40 units. 250 g of creamy butter, 150 g of sugar, 1 XL egg, 550 g of wheat flour, 5 g of vanilla essence.
- Elaboration. We beat the butter and sugar with electric rods. Add the vanilla essence and the egg, beating until both are integrated. Add the flour, little by little, first with a mixer and then by hand on a clean surface. We stretch on a sheet of parchment or baking paper, leaving 1/2 cm thick. Let it rest in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. We cut the cookies with a pasta cutter, transfer them to a tray covered with greaseproof paper and refrigerate them for another 30 minutes. Bake at 180ºC with heat up and down for 10-12 minutes, or until they start to brown. We transfer the cookies to a metal rack where we let them cool before consuming or decorating.
If they are also your favorite cookies, you will surely like them try other variants where butter still plays a major role, for example Danish pastas, Breton pallets, petits beurre, Swiss mailänderli or Scottish shortbread. And if you are in a hurry, the express butter cookies recipe is very quick to prepare.
MOULLY Lot of 12 Pastry Cookie Cutters, Metal Cookie Mold Stainless Steel Cookie Cutters
2. Chocolate cookies
It was inevitable to find the chocolate chip cookies in second place. Cocoa is a classic flavor of a multitude of desserts and it also enriches many cookie doughs, again in countless different forms.
We are left with this recipe from the infallible Nigella Lawson because they are very easy to prepare chocolate cookies, very rich and perfect to prepare with children. In this case they are made with cocoa but we could also add chocolate chips to the dough, or even bathe them with melted chocolate once cold.
- Ingredients. 250 g of butter at room temperature, 125 g of sugar, 30 g of cocoa powder, 300 g of wheat flour, 5 g of baking powder.
- Elaboration. In a bowl we mix the butter with the sugar and beat until white. Sift the cocoa over the butter and sugar mixture and mix gently until integrated. We do the same with the flour and chemical impeller, stirring from time to time until integrated before adding more quantity to the mixture. Cover two baking trays with parchment paper and place balls of the dough on them, ensuring that they are equal in size. Smash them slightly with a fork and cook in the oven, preheated to 180ºC, for 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the same tray before serving the cookies.
Are you declared chocoaddicts? Have many more recipes for chocolate cookies so you don’t get bored at home, from the now famous chocolate crinkles to the delicious world peace cookies, not forgetting the 3,2 1 cookies or the rye and chocolate cookies.
3. Oatmeal cookies
When did the Oatmeal Cookies? I remember my father always struggling to find a jar of rolled oats for his snacks – before porridge and porridge were trending – and now it’s a staple in any supermarket. Be that as it may, they are another classic of European and American pastries, again in many different guises.
I really like the “classic” oatmeal cookies with raisins, which despite being nutritious we must not forget that they are still a sweet to take occasionally. They are very easy, you do not have to complicate with the form and allow to substitute raisins for chocolate, other fruit or simply eliminate them.
- Ingredients. 100 g of tempered unsalted butter, 120 g of brown sugar or panela, 5 ml of vanilla essence, 2 g of ground cinnamon, 2 g of salt, 1 L egg, 85 g of pastry flour, 4 g of baking powder , 140 g of fine rolled oats, 100 of raisins, 2 g of coarse salt (optional).
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 180ºC and prepare two trays. Place the tempered butter in a medium bowl, add the sugar and beat with a wire mixer for two minutes. Add the vanilla, cinnamon and salt and beat a little more. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Then add the flour with the yeast and beat at low speed to integrate them. Add the rolled oats, beat lightly and add the raisins. Finish mixing everything with a spatula or tongue until you have a homogeneous mass. Take portions with the help of a couple of spoons and place them on the trays, giving a more or less rounded shape and leaving a couple of centimeters apart. Add a few extra raisins and coarse salt flakes on top, if desired. Bake one tray at a time for about 11-13 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
You can give more variety to your recipe book with many more recipes that have rolled oats basic; There are tender ones with apple and oatmeal puree, spelled and oatmeal with almonds and chocolate chips, in a vegan version of oats and coconut, shortbread style with rolled oats or less sweet, with Italian wholegrain oats.
Cecotec Bake & Toast 550 Tabletop Oven. 23 liter capacity, 1500 W, 3 Modes, Temperature up to 230ºC, Double glass door
4. Gingerbread cookies
The term “ginger cookies“Although it is a somewhat vague name. Ginger is only a spice that can flavor hundreds of cookies and different sweets, although it is usually associated with Christmas. It is essential in the typical Christmas men or gingerbread men, whose dough is the famous of gingerbread, which actually carries a lot more scents.
In any case, I think that true gingerbread cookies need to give the greatest prominence to this particular -and rich- spice, combined if possible with molasses or honey. This recipe is a delight that fills the house with an irresistible and homely aroma, and already heralds colder days when baking is a comforting pleasure.
- Ingredients. 225 g of confectionery flour, 100 g of sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 100 g of butter without salt, 100 g of liquid honey, extra sugar for coating (optional).
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 180ºC and prepare a couple of trays. Arrange the flour in a large container and mix with the sugar, yeast, bicarbonate, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Incorporate the butter cut into small cubes and work the dough, flattening it with a fork or with your hands, squeezing well. Add the honey and mix everything. Take small pieces of dough, the size of a walnut, and form balls with your hands. Coat each one in sugar and place them on the trays, about 4-5 cm apart. Gently mash with a moistened fork and bake for 10 minutes. Wait a couple of minutes out of the oven and cool on a rack.
In order to that the pot of gingerbread is not forgotten in a drawerWe suggest other recipes for cookies flavored with this spice. The chocolate and ginger ones are delicious, as are the crunchy spice and honey cookies or the oatmeal, orange and ginger version. And if you are looking for the dough to make Christmas figures, the recipe for the cookie box will help you to give the shape that you like the most.
5. Cookies “cookies”
It is curious that the fifth most searched cookie on the Internet is, simply, the cookie recipe. We already know that it is the generic English word for cookies, although it is true that the Anglo-Saxon world has more terms to refer to these sweets.
We therefore understand that a cookie It is the cookie that we associate with American culture, round, crunchy and sweet, with a slightly more tender interior, made with butter and almost always with chocolate. They tend to have huge sizes but we can make the recipe for cookies of three chocolates to our liking, always watching the cooking times.
- Ingredients. 130 g of butter at room temperature, 90 g of sugar, 120 g of brown sugar, 1 M egg, 190 g of flour, 50 g of dark chocolate chips, 50 g of milk chocolate chips, ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate, ½ teaspoon of baking powder, a pinch of salt.
- Elaboration. We preheat the oven to 180º with heat up and down and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. In a bowl we mix the soft butter with the two types of …