The cornstarch It is one of the most used products in the kitchen world, that is why we invite you to discover everything about it.
It may interest you: Popcorn: a food against aging
What is cornstarch?
It is also known as corn starch or cornstarch, since it is the starch that is obtained from corn and is used as a thickener in atoles, soups, sauces, creams, ice cream, among other products, you can also use it as flour to make some breads .
The cornstarch is obtained from the corn plant, which goes through a whole process of extraction of nutrients, starch, oils and proteins, which are then separated so that only the starch remains. Cornstarch, like others, is distinguished by being a very fine white powder.
It is within the group of cereals, so it provides a large amount of carbohydrates that are good for providing energy and improving digestion. Being a gluten-free product, it is a good option for celiacs.
It may interest you: 34 recipes for creams, soups and broths
Nutrients in cornstarch
- Minerals: magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, iron and zinc.
Don’t miss: What may be causing your gluten sensitivity
Surprising uses for cornstarch
- Relieves baby rash and irritation.
- Eliminate oil or ink stains, you just have to apply it to the stain, leave it to act overnight and then rub with a brush.
- To thicken sauces and soups, it is best to mix it with a little water or milk and then add it to the recipe, thus avoiding lumps.
- Relieves sunburns, irritations and stings, just mix cornstarch with water to create a paste and apply on the affected areas, it will give you a feeling of freshness.
- It is very good to prepare a mask and eliminate excess oil on the skin.
- It helps to combat athlete’s foot, you just have to put a little in the shoes.
- Combat greasy hair, the ideal is to apply it with a little water and leave it to act for 30 minutes before rinsing.
- Keep your pet clean, put a little cornstarch on his brush and brush it to better maintain his hair.
Since it is a very durable ingredient, you run the risk of assuming that it will last forever, however, like everything, it has a life span. To know if it is still fresh, you just have to add a tablespoon in 1/2 glass of vinegar, if it fizzes (bubbles) you can still use it.
Find more cooking tips in Easy Kitchen