We all know what the true terror of our pets is: fleas. This parasite can appear for different reasons: contact with other dogs, lack of hygiene and even because of this in contact with places where eggs have been deposited.
It may interest you: Work permits to take care of your pet if he gets sick are closer than you think
How do I know if my pet has fleas?
This is one of the most common main external parasites, just like ticks, and they are very easy to identify: they are very small in size and look like black dots that move between the dog’s hair and skin. They also leave their stools, which look like black dandruff.
Other flea symptoms include excessive itching and scratching, scratching wounds, red skin, and allergy dermatitis.
In addition to hygiene, it is important to eliminate them, as they feed on your pet’s blood for weeks and can harm their health.
Do not miss: Traveling with your pet: we give you the best tips
If you do not have the possibility to take your pet so that the vet can give him a treatment, you can try one of these home remedies for fleas. These are the most effective:
Citrus juices against fleas
- You can rub your pet’s coat with some citrus fruit (orange or lemon). Its aroma repels fleas.
- You can also boil a liter of water with lemon wedges. Let it cool overnight and, with the help of a spray bottle, spread water over your pet’s hair, avoiding the eye and muzzle area.
- Fleas are also found on carpets and even furniture. Use this mixture to spray these areas, especially where your pet tends to be.
You are interested in: Be careful! These are the products that you should NOT use to disinfect your pets!
- Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 1 cup of dog shampoo and give him a bath. Leave on for 15 minutes and use a comb to extract the fleas. Wash well and dry. Repeat 2 times a week.
- You can mix half a cup of water with half a cup of vinegar and apply it with a spray bottle. This will help relieve the itching and kill the fleas.
It may interest you: Love your pet … but without kisses!
Brewer’s yeast to ward off fleas
- Add a pinch of yeast to your pet’s food. This will cause your dog or cat to emit an odor that fleas cannot stand and will scare them away.
- You can also rub your dog’s skin with the yeast. Do not remove it, but let it act for several days.
Discover more tips to improve your quality of life and that of your family in Easy Kitchen