I am excited about green asparagus, both cultivated and wild, which I usually use when the season begins. Although we find them throughout the year in greengrocers, they usually come from other latitudes and I wait for the end of winter to arrive, when I can buy those from our lands. To take advantage of them in their splendor, we propose these recipes with green asparagus to enjoy them at its best.
We have already told you what is the best way to cook asparagus, (and it was invented by the Romans) and of course, we also know that they are very healthy, but today we propose seven unusual recipes to use this delicious product that we usually consume more times in scrambled eggs and sauteed.
Green asparagus, as well as white or purple ones, are a nutritionally very interesting vegetable, perfect for slimming diets due to its low calorie content and its good fiber content.
With scarcely about 25 kcal per 100 g of edible portion, they are also very rich in water, which contribute to provide satiety while helping to hydrate us, and also stand out for their contribution of vitamins and minerals. They are a great source of potassium and folic acid, antioxidants and folates, as well as an interesting amount of vegetable calcium and B vitamins.
Seven original recipes with green asparagus to enjoy the season
1. Wild asparagus croquettes
Chop the asparagus and the ham into very small pieces of the same size. In a frying pan we sauté the asparagus with a tablespoon of olive oil. We add half a glass of water and we let it cook until the water evaporates. Add the butter and sauté.
We add the flour and form a roux. We stir until toast the flour. We add the milk little by little making a bechamel at the ideal point to make croquettes. It is time to add the ham and leave for two minutes. We form the croquettes and pass them through flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
We fry them in plenty of hot oil until golden brown. We remove them carefully, we drain the excess fat with absorbent paper and serve with a salad garnish and a few sprigs of fresh thyme for aroma.
Complete recipe | Wild asparagus and ham croquettes. Recipe for a surprising appetizer
2. Asparagus mousse
- Ingredients: 25 g of butter, 50 g of leek, 50 g of onion, 175 g of cooked white asparagus, 30 g of vegetable broth, 1 sheet of gelatin, 1 XL egg white, salt, black pepper, 20 g of cheese grated to decorate, 5 g of fine wild asparagus, 1 slice of Serrano ham. * Elaboration. Sauté the finely chopped leek and onion. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the vegetables and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. We drain the asparagus and wash and dry them well. We cut them into two or three pieces and add them to the casserole along with the broth. Let it cook over low heat for five minutes or until there are no remains of broth. Hydrate the gelatin sheet in a bowl with cold water for five minutes. Crush the asparagus mixture and pass it through a fine mesh strainer. Season to taste and add the hydrated and drained gelatin, which will melt due to the heat. We stir until integrating and let it temper. We mount the white and mix it with the puree. We do it little by little, with enveloping movements and making sure to integrate the added well before adding more. Transfer to four glasses or bowls and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour. In a hot pan we place four small mounds of cheese, crush and let melt for a couple of minutes before turning and brown on the other side. We pass the asparagus on the grill with a little oil. Chop the ham and grill it until crisp. We decorate to taste.
Complete recipe | Asparagus mousse recipe. A revamped classic for Valentine’s Day
3. Light and frothy cream of asparagus and peas with ham
- Ingredients: Peas, 200 g, Wild asparagus a bunch, Single cream for cooking, 50 ml, Fleur de sel, Ground curry, Sweet paprika
- Elaboration: We start by shelling and blanching the peas, as we tell you in our publication to get more out of the seasonal peas. Once blanched, we reserve them. On the other hand, we cut the asparagus into slices, keeping the tips or whole yolks. We grill the asparagus and add them to the peas, crushing them in a blender glass until obtaining a deep green cream. The yolks will have been set aside and reserved for the presentation of the dish. Add the liquid cream to the pea and asparagus cream, mix and strain very well through a fine strainer so that there is no fiber left that could clog our siphon. Once strained, we put it in the siphon, add two loads and leave it hot by putting the siphon in a saucepan full of very hot water, until serving time. We present this recipe for cream of peas and wild asparagus, arranging the tips of asparagus in the center of the plate and filling it with the foamy cream directly from the siphon. Sprinkle with curry powder and sweet and sour paprika, decorate with a few flakes of salt and take to the table immediately.
Complete recipe: Light and frothy cream of asparagus and peas with ham
4. Asparagus and ham cannelloni
- Ingredients: Wild asparagus, 12, Pasta for lasagna (slices), 4, Serrano ham (slices), 4, Milk, 500 ml, Wheat flour, 40 g, Green pepper, 50 g, Onion, 100 g, Grated cheese (type Emmenthal), 150 g, Butter, 40 g, Fresh parsley, Salt, Ground black pepper
- Elaboration: To begin we are going to clean the asparagus, cut the lower and hard part of the stem. We boil salted water in a pot in which we leave them for about five minutes. We remove them from the water, drain and place in a bowl with ice to cool them and stop the cooking process. Now we are going to make the white sauce in the bechamel style and for this we will chop the onion and the pepper. We put them in a pot with the butter and leave them for about five minutes over medium heat. We add the milk that we let heat to the boiling point. Immediately add the flour while beating, always on the fire until it thickens a little. We remove from the fire and reserve. We place the lasagna sheets in another pot of hot water so that they become soft. In the process it is important to take care that they do not stick to each other, so I recommend doing it one by one. When a sheet of pasta is soft, we place a slice of Serrano ham and about three asparagus in the center. We roll to form our cannelloni. We grease a refractory with butter in which we arrange the cannelloni. Immediately pour the white sauce and cover with the grated cheese. Bake at 180ºC for about 25 minutes. We cut the parsley leaves that we spread over the cannelloni just before serving.
Complete recipe: Asparagus and ham cannelloni
5. Cream of asparagus and seasonal vegetables
- Ingredients: 12 green asparagus, 1 large zucchini, 1/2 cabbage, 2 small turnips, 4 carrots, 200 g of pumpkin, water or vegetable broth to cover, salt, and for sautéing, 4 asparagus, 8 mushrooms or porcini mushrooms , 3 egg yolks
- Elaboration: We start by roasting the chopped pumpkin at 190º in the oven for about 35 minutes. Then we crush it and reserve it. We chop the asparagus and the well cleaned vegetables and sauté them lightly with olive oil. This way we achieve that the flavors are more intense and it is not the typical “hospital cream” that does not have much flavor. Once everything has been sautéed for about five minutes, when the pieces begin to brown, we add the necessary water to cover and cook covered for about 15 minutes. Having cut the pieces into small pieces, they may not need much more time to cook. Try carrots, which tend to be tougher. When everything is cooked, we add the pumpkin puree and blend it with the rest until our spring cream is finished. For this type of dish, I like to prepare some sauteed chunks that give each spoonful a special point. This time I have used green asparagus from Aranjuez and canned mushrooms, which I have lightly sautéed and I have spread them out in the bowls before serving the cream. The final touch is achieved by adding an egg yolk for every two servings. I like to make the mixture in a bowl to integrate it well until the cream is fluid and unctuous and with a more beautiful color. Then all you have to do is spread the cream over the previously sautéed chunks, serving immediately. For food safety reasons, I only add the yolks with the portions that are going to be eaten at the time, not with all the leftover puree, since I prefer to keep it without the raw yolks.
Complete recipe | Asparagus cream and seasonal vegetables
6. Risotto with wild asparagus and goat cheese
- Ingredients: 200 g of arboreal rice, 1 bunch of green asparagus, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, ½ chives, 1 clove of garlic, 50 ml of dry white wine, 800 ml of vegetable broth, 60 g of goat cheese, 50 g of Parmesan cheese in flakes, salt and pepper.
- Elaboration: We will start by leaving the rice in water for a few minutes to release the starch. We continue cutting the chives and the small garlic clove and washing and drying the green asparagus. We prepare a frying pan over the fire with a tablespoon of oil and sauté the asparagus until they are grilled to our liking. We booked. In the saucepan where we make the rice, add the rest of the oil and fry the chives and garlic for a few minutes until they are transparent. Then we pour in the drained rice and fry it for two or three minutes, add the white wine and wait for the alcohol to evaporate. Then we add 30 ml of the rice soaking water and we also wait for it to evaporate. We begin to add 100 ml of the vegetable broth every bit, waiting for it to evaporate between each time, like this for fifteen minutes. When time has passed …