When we think about seasonal produce, we almost always look at the fruit and vegetable calendar, but the other food groups have their prime, too. Now we are in the best moment to start enjoying one of the star seafood of our coasts, the Galician scallop, a delight also very lucid for the holidays.
Scallops can be enjoyed in many different ways, from simply grilled to stuffed and au gratin in their own shell; in the aperitif or as part of a succulent sauce; in pasta dishes or seafood stews … So that no one runs out of ideas, today we select seven recipes with scallops with a twist that remind us why it is a seafood that always triumphs.
The scallop is a bivalve mollusk that can have dimensions of between 10 and 15 cm, with a variable weight of the interior meat. When it is in season it is fresh, with its shell and coral, which we can take advantage of in the same recipe or reserve for another preparation. They are also sold frozen, often only with the meat.
In our country we can enjoy the Galician scallop season, which usually starts at the end of November, and arrives just in time to take advantage of it at Christmas. It is distinguished from other European varieties by having a flatter upper shell, with wavy edges that protrude slightly from the lower balva, and a reddish color usually without spots.
Seven recipes with scallops
Grilled scallops with tomato water with mint and lime
- Ingredients for 2 people. 6 unshelled scallops, 250 g of ripe tomatoes, 15 ml of extra virgin olive oil, 1 lime, 4 mint leaves, mullet roe, black pepper and salt.
- Elaboration. Cut the washed tomatoes and place in a colander over a bowl. Add a good pinch of salt and mix without any delicacy. Let stand for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the juices come out. Squeeze well at the end, trying not to take any seeds or rest of the skin. Grill the meat of the scallops without the coral. Heat a little oil in a good griddle or non-stick frying pan and add the shellfish previously seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes, turn and cook for another 30-60 seconds. Cover the bottom of a bowl with the tomato water. Distribute the scallops and add a few drops of olive oil, the lime juice, the mint leaves and the mullet roe.
Complete recipe Grilled scallops with tomato water with mint and lime. Light recipe
2. Carpaccio of scallops with citrus
- Ingredients for 2 people. 30 g of extra virgin olive oil, 15 g of rice vinegar, 1/2 lime, 1/2 orange, 1 piece of ginger, 300 g of scallop meat, 1 tomato, sesame seeds, salt.
- Elaboration. Grate the ginger, half a lime and half an orange with a fine grater. We also squeeze the juices of the lime and orange. In a bowl, mix the EVOO, the rice vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of lime zest, 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest, 1/4 teaspoon of grated ginger, 1 teaspoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Orange. We beat with some metal rods until emulsified. We remove the corals from the scallops and we are left with only the sirloin, which we thinly laminate. Place the scallop slices on a large plate and sprinkle with the vinaigrette. We put it in the fridge and let it marinate for an hour. We peel a tomato and cut it into quarters. Remove the seeds with the help of a teaspoon and cut the tomato into small cubes. We remove the scallop from the fridge and let it warm up. Then we distribute the tomato seeds and the dice on the scallop, sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt flakes.
Complete recipe | Scallop carpaccio with citrus. Easy and successful Christmas recipe
3. Risotto of Navarra asparagus and scallop coral
- Ingredients for 4 people. 9 asparagus from Navarra, 9 scallop corals, 250 g of carnaroli rice, 1/4 onion, 1 drizzle of white wine, 400 ml of vegetable broth, 100 ml of broth from preserved asparagus, Parmersan cheese and chopped chives .
- Elaboration. We start by chopping the onion and sautéing it for a few minutes in the saucepan with a little oil. Add the rice and let it change color while we stir it. Add the white wine and let it evaporate, always without stopping stirring. Lightly sauté the coral in a pan for a minute and cut the asparagus into pieces of approximately 1cm, reserving the yolks to decorate. We are adding the vegetable broth mixed with the asparagus broth, adding it little by little to the rice, and letting it be absorbed before adding a little more. When we have very little broth left, add the asparagus and corals to cook for the last two or three minutes. We finish by adding a few slices of Parmesan cheese, sprinkling with chopped chives and placing the yolks.
Complete recipe | Navarra asparagus risotto and scallop coral. Recipe to show off
4. Black spaghetti with scallops and crispy Parmesan
- Ingredients for 6 people. 500 g of black spaghetti, 60 g of grated Parmesan, 1 white or purple onion, 6 large scallops, 400 ml of evaporated milk, salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration. Cut 12 squares of about 8 cm of parchment paper. We distribute the grated Parmesan over six of them in a circular way. Cover with the others and bake in the microwave, at medium power for 45 seconds. We withdraw and reserve. For the sauce, we chop the onion in brunoise, heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry it over a very low heat. Meanwhile, we remove the corals from the scallops and finely chop them. Add them to the onion, stir and cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add the evaporated milk to the pan, add salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes over low heat. Boil the spaghetti following the manufacturer’s instructions. We also grill the scallops, after having oiled and seasoned them, over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes on each side. We drain the spaghetti, mix them well with the sauce and plate them. Garnish with a scallop or two and a crunchy Parmesan when serving.
Complete recipe | Recipe for black spaghetti with scallops and crunchy Parmesan, today we eat pasta!
5. Toast of scallops au gratin on candied peppers
- Ingredients for 3 people. 9 scallops, 3 slices of bread, 1 large red pepper, olive oil, 3 tablespoons mayonnaise sauce.
- Elaboration. We cut three very elongated slices of bread, making the cuts oblique. We grill the scallops so that they caramelize slightly and reserve. To make the candied peppers, cut them into strips and put them in a saucepan with plenty of oil, letting them cook at a low temperature for an hour, without turning brown. Then we drain and cut them into squares. We put the peppers in a saucepan, add a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of water and cook them until they begin to melt, forming a kind of jam. We preheat the oven to 230º and toast the bread. We put on each toast a tablespoon of the peppers and three scallops, covering them with a tablespoon of mayonnaise. Gratin until a golden crust forms and serve immediately.
Complete recipe | Toast of scallops au gratin on candied peppers from La Gabinoteca. Prescription
6. Julia Child-style stuffed scallops
- Ingredients for 2 people. 2-4 scallops (depending on whether we are going to serve them as a starter or a single dish), 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 sweet onion, 1 shallot, 1 small garlic clove, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 bay leaf , 1 teaspoon of Provencal herb mixture, 1 glass of white wine, gratin cheese, a little breadcrumbs, black pepper and salt.
- Elaboration. Chop the sweet onion and shallot separately into small cubes. Also chop the garlic clove. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan and add the onion, over low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, without letting it brown. Add the shallot and garlic clove, cook for a couple of minutes. Remove and reserve. Dry the scallops well and remove the corals, which we will chop. Season and lightly flour. Melt the other tablespoon of butter and the teaspoon of oil in a pan and brown the scallops on both sides over high heat for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped corals, onion, bay leaf and herbs. Cover with the wine, lower the heat and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes, until it reduces. Remove the bay leaf and distribute the filling on the clean shells. Top with cheese, a little breadcrumbs and a pinch of butter. Gratin in the oven at the moment.
Complete recipe | Julia Child style stuffed scallops. Prescription
7. Scallops with reinforcement
- Ingredients for 5 people. 5 scallop shells or five similar oven-safe porcelain or glass containers. 5 beautiful scallops, 10 prawns, 10 mussels, 2 tablespoons of flour, 50 g of butter, 1/2 glass of milk 1/2 glass of fish broth.
- Elaboration. We separate the coral from the scallops and cut the white muscle into two discs. We peel the prawns and remove the intestine to leave them clean. Cook the mussels, remove them from their shell and chop them, reserving them. We strain the water from cooking the mussels and save it if we do not have broth. Sauté the scallops and remove them by placing them in their shells that we will have very clean. Sauté the prawns, add the flour and stir until it is toasted. Add a little milk and stir, allowing it to absorb. We continue until the milk is finished and we continue with the broth or the water to cook the mussels. When it is thick, rectify the salt, add the chopped mussels, give a last boil and distribute the cream on the scallops. Sprinkle with a little breadcrumbs and grill for 6 minutes at 230ºC.
Complete recipe | Scallops with reinforcement. Christmas recipe
Cover photo | iStock