When you start to become fond of baking, it is easy to lose your head buying molds of all kinds. Nowadays it is easy to find countless models of different shapes, materials and sizes, becoming almost an addiction. But there are certain classic dessert recipes that do need their special molds to prepare them correctly.
Unless we have a huge kitchen full of cabinets to fill, it seems more reasonable to me invest in a small but well-selected range of molds that we will use more frequently. This is a selection of some of the most classic desserts that ask for different molds, and the best thing is that they can all be reused in other similar recipes.
THREE RECIPES to make QUICK AND EASY CAKES
1. Egg flan
In Spain we call flan crème caramel, that traditional dessert that so many of us associate with our childhood or with the cooking of mothers and grandmothers. Some call it old-fashioned – perhaps in its association with pajamas and the menus of yesteryear – but a good flan is still today a delight that does not fail among the sweet tooth.
The flan can be prepared in different molds and today the silicone placemats with colorful shapes are taken, but here we want claim the most traditional flanera, metallic, smooth or lobed, for cooking in a water bath. This model is a classic design, with its hermetic closing lid and a diameter of 20 cm, perfect for cooking and serving flan, for 10.75 euros.
The recipe of Egg custard in a pressure cooker from our partner Esther It is a classic in her home, a family inheritance from her grandmother and one of those desserts that are passed down from generation to generation, emerging from an old recipe book.
- Ingredients. 2 L yolks, 2 L whole eggs, 500 ml of warm whole milk, 1 level tablespoon of cornstarch, 5 tablespoons of sugar, 6 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of water for the caramel.
- Elaboration. We put the sugar and water on the fire to make the caramel by heating it in one case. With great care we bathe the bottom and sides of our flanera. Lightly heat the milk and in the tall glass of a blender, beat the eggs, yolks, sugar and cornstarch until everything is integrated. Add the milk little by little and continue beating until a homogeneous mixture is formed. We pour into the flanera and close. In the bottom of the pressure cooker we add about four centimeters of water, we put something metallic or the steam cooking basket so that the flanera does not contact the bottom of the pot and we put it on the fire. When the valve starts to beep because it has reached the pressure, we lower the heat and we count 10 minutes. Once the time has passed, the pressure of the pot will drop by itself. Refrigerate and unmold after at least six hours.
Complete recipe | Egg custard in a pressure cooker
2. Plum cake
Originally British term, although there is more common the fruit cake, It’s about a sponge cake with candied or dried fruits which in Spain has been associated with the table with coffee or tea, always rectangular. Some are well packed with butter and sugar, others are lighter and overflowing with fruit, some incorporate chocolate while others are made with ground nuts … there are variants to never get bored.
What is clear is that, for us, a plum cake has to be prepared in the traditional rectangular mold. This Dr. Oetker mold follows the typical pattern, metallic, dark, non-stick and with a length of 25 cm. It costs 11.91 euros and, although we are few at home, I always recommend taking advantage of it to make a large recipe -or double the quantities- and freeze in portions what does not give us time to consume in a few days. Or to ration the sweet, you don’t need to get too full at once.
I like this fruit and tea plum cake recipe because it does not have too much added sugar, it is very rich in a variety of raisins and has a lot of aroma and juiciness thanks to the fact that they are macerated in tea. We can use another variety of dried fruits or change the infusion to taste, and it has the advantage of adding neither butter nor oil.
- Ingredients. 225 g of mixed raisins, 1 large glass of strong tea, 100 g of brown sugar, 1 L egg, 150 ml of milk, 250 g of pastry flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or cloves, 1 pinch of nutmeg.
- Elaboration. Heat water for the tea and pour over the raisins, mixing well. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, better several hours. Preheat the oven to 175ºC and prepare a rectangular mold. Mix the flour with the yeast, salt and spices in a large bowl. Drain the raisins and mix with the brown sugar. Add the lightly beaten egg and stir. Add to the flour together with the milk, mixing well until no dry traces are left. Fill the mold, leveling the surface. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick pokes it clean. Wait a few minutes out of the oven before unmolding and let cool completely on a rack.
Complete recipe | Raisin tea mix plum cake
Delicious biscuits typical of French pastries, the financiers or “financiers” were born at the end of the 19th century in Paris. Its curious name comes from the clientele that frequented the La Lasne patisserie, located next to La Bolsa, businessmen looking for an easy-to-eat sweet. They usually have almonds or other ground dried fruit in their dough, very spongy, and the rectangular shape imitating a gold ingot is traditional.
Nothing prevents us from preparing them in other individual molds, such as muffins or muffins, but if we want to taste the authentic financier with its typical shape we need a mold like this one from Levivo, from high-quality silicone with metal reinforcement for greater stability. It has capacity for 20 units at a price of 13.48 euros.
- Ingredients. 500 g of tangerines or oranges, 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds, 6 egg whites, 185 g of butter, 120 g of ground almonds, 200 g of sugar, 75 g of all-purpose flour, icing sugar to decorate.
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees with heat up and down, grease the molds and grate the rind of the fruit until obtaining approximately two tablespoons. Squeeze a few units to obtain 30 ml of juice. In a bowl add the juice, the zest and the poppy seeds, stir and leave to marinate for 15 minutes. While melting the butter in a saucepan over the heat and keep cooking until it starts to brown and smells like hazelnut, strain it through a fine mesh strainer and let it warm. Beat the egg whites until stiff, add the melted butter, the powdered almonds, the sifted sugar and flour, then add the tangerine juice, with the seeds and the zest. Stir gently with a spatula until everything is mixed and bake for twenty minutes.
Complete recipe | Mandarin and poppy seed financiers
4. Bundt cake
November is just around the corner and maybe we want to go practicing for the Day of the Bundt Cake, a type of enriched sponge cake of curious origin and characterized by its dense, sweet, juicy and aromatic crumb. Nordic Ware is the most famous and specialized brand in molds for these sweets, with a catalog that gives many of us long teeth.
They are not exactly cheap but we do attest to their magnificent quality, so if you are passionate about these pastry recipes, it may be worth investing in a model that we like. The Bavaria mold is one of the most classic, beautiful and elegant, very versatile and not excessively clumsy, like others. Here it is on sale at 36.76 euros, and it is so beautiful and rich in recipes like this one.
- Ingredients. 75 g of butter, 240 g of sugar, 2 eggs, 260 g of pastry flour, 20 g of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 yogurts natural and 100 g of chopped hazelnuts.
- Elaboration. We preheat the oven to 180ºC. We sift the flour with the cocoa, salt, bicarbonate and chemical yeast. We beat the butter with the sugar at medium speed, until it is creamy. Beat the eggs lightly and add them to the butter mixture, beating just enough. Add the flour mixture alternating it with the yogurt, starting and ending with flour. We beat just enough. Add the hazelnuts with the spatula. We grease a Bundt Cake mold well. We pour the dough inside on one side and let it spread itself throughout the mold, which we will give a few dry blows on the worktop protected by a cloth. Bake about 40 minutes. We take it out of the oven and let it warm for ten minutes inside the mold and on top of a grate. After this time, we unmold it and let it cool completely before serving.
Complete recipe | Hazelnut, yogurt and cocoa bundt cake
5. New York Cheesecake
We have many recipes and ways to prepare cheesecakes, but if there is one famous throughout the world, it is the mythical New York Cheesecake. We are not saying that it is the best, but it will certainly delight lovers of sweet, and especially addicts to cheesecakes of all kinds.
I like much more those that are, as in this case, baked, with the accompanying sauce on the side, and curdled to the point – I am not convinced by semi-liquid ones. To achieve that perfect texture it is highly recommended to have a good metal mold, non-stick and removable bottom. This way we will achieve a uniform baking, without risk of leaks and easily removed from the mold to make it look luxurious.
Known in English as springform cake pan, it is best to bet on recognized brands with good guarantees. Those from Kitchencraft Master Class are very popular, whose removable 20 cm diameter mold costs us 11.62 euros.
- Ingredients. 150 g of TPO Digestive biscuits, 100 g of melted butter, 15 g of sugar, 500 g of cream cheese, 150 g of sugar for the filling, 40 g of strength flour, 4 eggs L, 1 yolk L, 350 ml of whipping cream, 25 ml of lemon juice, 1 pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Elaboration. Let the cream mixed with the lemon rest for 1 hour covered with film, at room temperature …