One of the things I like the most is getting together with family or friends and organizing a themed dinner. If you want to give it atmosphere, prepare rancheras and corridos music because we are going to tell you nine recipes that you must master if you want to make a Mexican dinner at home.
In addition to the recipes that we will tell you below, also see how to make the homemade tortilla chips or nachos, the wheat tortillas for the fajitas and the corn tortillas for the tacos, burritos and quesadillas if you want to offer your guests, all the food made by yourself.
Mexican party at home
To start, you can prepare some snacks or sopes, names with which the classic aperitifs or snacks are called in Mexico. Afterwards, serve some margaritas and start taking out the other dishes, arranging them on the table so that everyone can organize themselves in their own way.
Later, you can serve some of these classic Mexican recipes that are very easy to prepare that Carmen told us a long time ago. The Mexican food is very tasty and entertaining to eat so the evening is sure to be a success. These are our nine Mexican recommendations for a family or friends reunion.
1. Mexican cream of cheese and jalapeños for the nachos
We chop one of the jalapeños into rings and place it in a small bowl, to marinate it with vinegar. We can also use canned pickled jalapeños. On the other hand, Put the garlic cloves, onion and the other jalapeño, all finely chopped, in a saucepan. Season and cook with sunflower oil until everything is poached, for about 5 or 6 minutes over low heat, stirring from time to time and preventing the onion from browning.
We add the milk and when it is hot, we add the cheese, grating it so that it melts first. You have to add the cheese little by little, so that it does not go to the bottom and burn. We will always watch that it is melting before adding a new handful, until the cheese is completely melted, which will take another 10 minutes approximately.
Once we have obtained a fluid cream, we taste and rectify the salt and pepper and transfer it to a bowl, garnish with a little sour cream, the green part of the finely chopped chives and pickled jalapeños, ending with some coriander leaves. We will serve the cream accompanied by the nachos or tortilla chips for dipping.
More details here
2. Chili con carne
- Ingredients: 100 g of Onion, 30 g Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 4 Peeled Garlic Cloves, Ground Cumin, 2 tablespoons, Ground Chilli, 1/2 teaspoon, 500 g of Minced Beef, 400 g of Crushed Tomato, Fresh Chopped Oregano, 1 tablespoon, chopped fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon, meat broth, 300 ml, sugar, 1 teaspoon, cooked red beans, 300 g, chopped fresh coriander, to taste and fried corn nachos or chips to accompany
- Elaboration: To make this recipe with Thermomix, we peel the onion and put it in the glass, crushing it with two or three blows of turbo. We lower the remains that have remained on the walls to the inside of the glass, add the oil and program 8 min / 100º / speed 1. Add the garlic, chilli and cumin and mix 5 sec / speed 4. Add the minced meat and cook 8 min / 100º / speed 1 and 1/2. Add the tomato, herbs, broth and sugar and set 45 min / 100º / speed spoon. Add the drained beans and cook 5 min / 100º / vel spoon, making sure that they do not fall apart too much. Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander and serve with the tortilla chips. To make this recipe without Thermomix, we peel the onion, chop it small and put it in a saucepan with hot oil to brown it. When it is transparent, add the minced garlic, chilli and cumin and give it a few turns. Add the minced meat, stir and let it cook until all the liquid from the meat has evaporated. Add the tomato, the herbs, the broth and the sugar, stir and let it cook with the casserole uncovered for half an hour or until the broth has practically evaporated. Add the drained beans, let it cook for a few minutes all together and serve sprinkled with spicy coriander and accompanied by the tortilla chips.
More details here
3. Homemade guacamole
- Ingredients: 3 avocados, 1 green serrano chili, 1 green pepper, fresh coriander a bunch, 1 spring onion, lime juice to taste and optionally, a jalapeño chili, 1 ripe tomato, 1 clove of garlic and a few drops of red Tabasco. Also, fried corn nachos (tortilla chips) to accompany
- Elaboration: The most traditional way is to use a stone mortar or mortar to crush the different ingredients with it and get a more or less irregular paste. As not everyone will have this instrument, you can use a classic mortar and fork to do it at home. Another possibility is to use a hand mixer, but in that case the texture is too uniform and creamy, being good for fillings or spreads, but less pleasant to eat using the corn triangles, called tortilla chips. We start by finely chopping the chives and green peppers, as well as the bunch of coriander. Then, we remove the meat from the avocado and cut it into slices or squares, and we mix it with the rest of the ingredients with the help of the mortar. We add a splash of lime juice over the mixture while we work it. We taste and correct the salt and if we want, we add the optional ingredients such as tomato or chilli, mixing them in that case with the finished guacamole paste with enveloping movements with a fork, so as not to vary the irregular texture of our sauce.
More details here
4. Green chili marinade
- Ingredients: Half a head of garlic separated into unpeeled cloves, 4 green serrano chili, 1 bunch of fresh coriander, 1 large bunch of fresh parsley, 1 glass of extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt
- Elaboration: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Without using oil, add the garlic cloves (unpeeled) and cook for 5 minutes. Then, without removing the garlic, add the chilies, and cook both for 10 minutes. Let the garlic and peppers cool until you can handle them, then proceed to peel the garlic and gin, peel and cut the chilies. In a food processor or food processor, combine the garlic, chili peppers, coriander, parsley, olive oil and salt. Chop the mixture until it reaches the consistency of a pesto and transfer the sauce to a jar, to be able to store it well protected in the refrigerator.
More details here
5. Pico de gallo
- Ingredients: 2 very red tomatoes, 1 red (or white) spring onion, the juice of a lime, salt and a good bunch of coriander.
- Elaboration: The truth is that there is no difficulty in making the pico de gallo recipe. We only have to cut in our case the tomato and chives of the same size, into squares. The tomatoes we empty them of the gelatin and seeds before. Then we mix all the ingredients, with the finely chopped coriander, the salt and the lime juice to taste and serve. Optionally we can add pieces of chili peppers or peppers to give it a spicier touch.
More details here
6. Mexican baked chicken fajitas
- Ingredients: Lime or lemon juice, 60 ml, Soy sauce reduced in salt, 60 ml, Extra virgin olive oil, 50 ml, Honey, 30 ml, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of Ground chili (or hot paprika), 1 large garlic clove, 1 small red pepper, 1 small green pepper, 1 small yellow pepper, 1 white or purple onion, 400 g boneless skinless chicken drumsticks
- Elaboration: A few hours or the night before, remove the chicken from its container, remove any traces of fat, bone or feathers, and dry with kitchen paper. Put in a freezer bag. Whisk together the juice, soy sauce, oil, honey, finely minced garlic and spices. Separate 50-60 ml and pour the rest over the chicken, mix very well, close by removing the maximum of air and leave in the refrigerator for at least two hours. Also keep the rest of the sasla that we have removed in the fridge. Preheat the oven grill to the maximum and prepare a tray of about 36×26 cm. Prepare the vegetables by washing the peppers and cutting them into strips without the seeds; julienne or feather the onion. Remove the chicken by removing the excess marinade, distribute on the tray and bake on the highest level for about 5 minutes; turn the pieces and bake for 4-5 more minutes. It may take more time, it has to be well browned. Change the oven to heat up and down to 220º C.
More details here
7. Tacos al pastor
- Ingredients: 500 g of pork needle, 50 ml of pineapple juice, ground cayenne or hot paprika, 2 teaspoons, annatto paste 3 teaspoons, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, white wine vinegar, 35 ml, half white onion, half natural pineapple, 1 lime, fresh coriander, and 12 corn tortillas
- Elaboration: We cut the pork into pieces of about 2 cm. In a deep bowl, mix the ground cayenne, the achiote paste, the garlic powder, the oregano, the cumin, the vinegar, the pineapple juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the meat and stir well so that it is impregnated with the marinade. We marinate, in the fridge, for a couple of hours. We preheat the oven to 180º C so that it takes temperature while we mount a skewer. We cut the pineapple into cubes of a similar size to the pieces of meat. Thread the pineapple and the pork, alternating both, on several wooden skewers. Place on a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the meat is golden brown. When the meat is ready, we take it out of the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. Meanwhile we cut the onion into small pieces and heat the tortillas in a pan. We remove the skewers and cut the meat and pineapple into small pieces …