Another traditional dish of Mexican cuisine is the mole poblano. Although this recipe is undoubtedly one of the most complicated to prepare, it is worth cooking it.
If this is the first time you’re going to cook mole poblano, don’t worry. We are sure that it will be delicious. Write down the ingredients you need well and follow our advice.
It may interest you: 24 traditional and delicious Mexican food recipes
Mole poblano recipe
- 1/4 cup of peanuts
- Shortening or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- two cups chicken broth
- two garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- two tablespoons sesame
- 1/2 teaspoon anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- two cloves
- 4 whole black peppers
- 1/2 tortilla divided into pieces
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 8 Chicken pieces
- 1/4 cup of almonds
- 4 deveined pasilla chili peppers
- 8 deveined ancho chili peppers
- 10 deveined mulato peppers
- Vegetable oil
- two tablespoons sesame
- 1/2 tabletop chocolate splint
- 1 marinated chipotle chili
- two roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 liters of chicken broth
- 1 cup of mole poblano
- First, to make the mole, lightly fry the chiles in the butter until they are shiny; remove them.
- Next, in the same fat, fry the almonds, peanuts, raisins, the tortilla, the peppers, the cloves and the cinnamon; remove them and put them with the above.
- Lightly toast the anise and sesame seeds, blend them together with the other ingredients and the necessary broth to obtain a homogeneous paste; cook over low heat until thickened (stir frequently); withdraw and reserve.
- Later, fry the chicken pieces in a little oil until golden brown; reservation.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomatoes and chipotle, pour over the chicken and when it is almost consumed, add half the broth and season with salt.
- Next, dissolve the mole in the remaining broth and heat over medium heat; Add the chocolate and stir until it melts.
- Finally, pour over the chicken, rectify the seasoning and cook over low heat until it thickens.
Do not miss: The taco: an icon of Mexico since pre-Hispanic times
Curiosities about the mole that you should know
- The word mole comes from Nahuatl mulli y means “sauce” or “stew”. This preparation dates from pre-Hispanic times.
- It is one of the favorite dishes for social events in Mexico, especially in the towns. In fact, when someone is getting married, people say “it already smells like mole with chicken.”
- In addition, it is one of the national dishes par excellence. This is because in Mexico there are hundreds of ways to prepare it throughout its territory. The most famous are the Poblano and the Oaxaqueño.
- The story goes that this dish was born thanks to a distracted nun, who stumbled and accidentally added the ingredients to the sauce she was preparing.
- Of course, some experts in culinary art say that this legend is unlikely, because mole is a recipe with a lot of balance, complexity and perfection.
- Previously, the favorite meat to eat mole was turkey, but with the passage of time it was replaced by chicken.
- There is no “original” recipe for mole; that is, there are so many variants that use different ingredients, amounts, steps and procedures that it could be said that there are as many versions of moles as there are towns and families in Mexico.
Because you loved this recipe, follow Easy Cooking and learn more recipes to enjoy at any time of the day
Share the mole poblano recipe with your mother, aunt or best friend, you can surely make someone very happy with a new dish. Don’t forget to leave us your comments and rate the recipes that appeal to you the most.