It is delicious and 100% Mexican, if you love it as much as we do, you have to know the history and the best recipe to prepare coffee pot.
Although the exact date on which the coffee arrived in Mexico is unknown, most historians indicate that it was in Veracruz in the late 1700s and from then on it began to be distributed throughout the country and produced in different regions. Currently the main producers of this valuable grain are Chiapas, Veracruz and Oaxaca.
At the time that it began to become popular throughout the country, of course Mexico could not be left behind and would create its own recipe to enjoy one of the most popular drinks in the world.
It is said that it was during the Mexican Revolution that café de olla arose, thanks to the adelitas or soldaderas who added piloncillo and cinnamon to the basic preparation of coffee and prepared it every night to give energy to all the warriors who were in the fight.
It was named café de olla because from the beginning it is prepared in clay pots and later, according to custom, it must be offered in cups or jugs of this same material.
Although the basic recipe only requires brown sugar and cinnamon, in some regions of the country they also add other spices such as cloves and orange or lemon peels.
You’re interested in: The most popular Mexican drinks
HOW TO MAKE POT COFFEE
- 6 tablespoons of ground coffee
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 orange peel without the white part (optional)
- 1 brown sugar cone of 45 g
- 1 and 1/2 liters of water
Step by Step
- Add the water in a clay pot with the brown sugar, cinnamon, orange peel and cloves over medium heat.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, turn off the heat, add the coffee and rest for five minutes.
- Pass through a strainer and serve.
Discover the best recipes for coffee drinks in Easy Kitchen