Candlemas Day is very close and it is time to prepare some delicious tamales. Do you already have your dough for tamales?
If it is the first time that you are going to prepare it, we will show you how to make it with inexpensive ingredients and in simple and easy steps. It will be delicious!
Do not miss: The 7 tamales you must try in Latin America
Prepare your dough for tamales
(Makes approximately ½ kg)
- 500 g of flour for tamales
- ½ cup of lard
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ tbsp. baking powder
- 1 medium bunch of dried corn husks
- Salt to taste
It may interest you: The history of the millennial tamales
- Heat the chicken broth, just to warm it, add the baking powder and stir until dissolved; reservation.
- Beat the butter at high speed and when it fluffs, add the broth little by little, beat 3 more minutes to integrate it.
- Gradually add the flour and salt, beat well after each addition until everything is integrated; do the ball test.
- Put 2 tablespoons of masa on the corn husks and spread it with the back of the spoon, add a little of the filling of your choice to the center and wrap the tamales.
You’re interested: Grandma makes 800 tamales that saved her life from COVID-19
The infallible proof:
To find out if the dough for the tamales is ready, perform this test: form a ball of dough, pour it into a glass of water and, if it floats, it means it is ready. Otherwise, continue beating and repeat the test.
For the leaves:
Soak the corn husks in enough water with a few drops of bactericide or bleach for 1 hour or until soft. Remove and drain so you can use them.
Discover in Easy Kitchen the most delicious recipes of traditional tamales for you to enjoy on Candlemas Day