The tummy, also known as menudo, is a traditional Mexican dish which is made based on guajillo chili and beef belly.
In addition to being a recipe to be enjoyed any time of the week, it is usually eaten after a night out to ease a hangover. Today we invite you to prepare it with a homemade flavor and very delicious. Take note!
It may interest you: 5 dishes with which you will become an expert in Mexican food
Homemade belly recipe
- 8 guajillo chili peppers
- 5 tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 700 g clean and precooked beef belly
- 1 epazote branch
- 4 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 sliced arbol chili
- Coriander to taste
Do not miss: Eating tortilla has its benefits, says a study
- Boil the chiles with the tomatoes; mix them together with the garlic. Return to the pot and keep simmering.
- Meanwhile rinse the tummy in running water until the water runs clear. Add the meat to the broth along with the epazote and cook for 40 minutes.
- Chop the belly. Distribute the portions; add the broth. Sprinkle with a little onion, oregano and chile de arbol. It serves
You’re interested: 18 pozole recipes to easily prepare at home
Origin of this dish
The origin of the belly, or small, is totally unknown, it is said that during the Mexican Revolution several dishes were created to feed the troops and that is how it arose.
In another version it is considered as a soup created by the mixture of European and American gastronomy by the Spanish from Mexico to Argentina.
Pancita is a dish that requires a lot of time to prepare, but what makes it very special is precisely that, its slow cooking process and the spices with which it is prepared, which give this stew a very particular flavor.
Learn to prepare the different flavors of our country, get to know all the incredible Mexican food recipes and get to work.
Discover more delicious food recipes that are very easy to prepare in Easy Kitchen, and share them with your family and friends