The taste of sweet potato It is one of the favorites of Mexico. Its sweet aroma and texture conquers the palate of those who taste it. This tuber is a delicious, nutritious and versatile food.
But today we do not want to talk about its flavor, but about the great benefits that this food has for your health. So take note and enjoy the sweet potato big.
It may interest you: Foods to burn fat that you should always eat
Health benefits of sweet potato
- You must be one of the few natural ingredients that gives you 100% of the daily recommendation for vitamin A, in addition to beta-carotene, very useful for women going through menopause.
- It is rich in anthocyanins, substances that help reduce uric acid in the blood, control blood sugar levels and reduce inflammation of the liver.
- Its components help control hypertension.
- It is a valuable source of cyanidins and peonidins, which reduce the risk of cancer cells.
- Eating sweet potatoes provides the body with valuable antioxidants that promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria. In this way, the risk of infections or disorders such as infectious diarrhea or irritable bowel syndrome is reduced.
- The beta-carotene it contains has excellent benefits for eye health, protecting eye cells. What’s more. helps prevent vision loss. In addition, this substance also helps to strengthen the immune system
- Another benefit of sweet potato anthocyanins is reducing inflammation and preventing free radical damage in the brain.
Do not miss: Ranking of superfoods for the heart
Curiosities you should know about this tuber
In addition to the benefits of this food, the sweet potato has been part of our gastronomic traditions for many years. Don’t miss out on these interesting facts:
- It is also known as sweet potato or sweet potato and is native to Peru.
- Despite its origin, it is China that has the first place in world production.
- Its name comes from Nahuatl camotli y means “root”.
- It was Christopher Columbus who took him to Europe.
- There are more than 400 varieties of this tuber.
- Its purple color is due to its anthocyanin content.
- In Mexico it is a tradition to eat sweet potato prepared as a dessert, bathed in dulce de leche, jam and other sweet ingredients.
- It is very easy to recognize a sweet potato cart in our country, as it has a special whistle. Since the cart maintains heat, the steam it generates is used to whistle. It is normally heard when it starts to get dark.
Discover more information about your favorite foods for your health and nutrition in Easy Kitchen