We know: hiccups can be very annoying and make us despair. If it happens to you on a recurring basis and it is difficult for you to control it, we tell you how to remove hiccups effectively and without complications.
It may interest you: Why is hiccup so important for the brain?
How to get rid of hiccups: effective remedies
According to research from the Gloucester and Worcester Hospital in the UK, the most effective remedy to cut the sensation of hiccups is to squeeze your ears with your fingers while sipping a glass of water with the help of a straw.
- Another very effective remedy is to hold your breath, hold your nose and hold on as long as possible. It may not work with the first moment, so you could repeat it two or more times.
- Drinking cold water is another solution, only you have to do it without breathing for it to work.
- Take abdominal breaths: take a slow breath, and feel your abdomen fill up. Hold your breath for 10 to 20 seconds. Then slowly let the air out as your abdomen deflates.
- Lie on your back: lie on your back and bring your knees towards your chest, this will help the diaphragm to close.
- Calm down: hiccups don’t last long and most of the time they go away on their own. Despair will only make it take longer to disappear.
Do not miss: What causes horse pain
What is hiccup and what are its causes?
Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, this is the muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen. Each contraction is followed by a sudden closure of the vocal cords, producing the “hip” sound we know so well.
Sometimes hiccups may be accompanied by a mild feeling of tension in the chest, abdomen, or throat.
The reasons why we hiccup are diverse, including:
- Consumption of alcoholic or carbonated beverages.
- Sudden emotions
- Agitation or emotional stress.
- Exposure to sudden changes in temperature.
- Swallowing air when chewing gum or sucking on candy.
- It appears as a symptom of a diagnosed disease, in the least of the cases.
It may interest you: What is it and why does it give us horse pain?
How to remove hiccups: what happens when hiccups last?
Normally, the hiccups disappear in a few minutes, but sometimes it can be prolonged, even lasting more than 48 hours. This is because there is possibly an injury to the vagus or phrenic nerves that assist the diaphragm muscle.
This also occurs due to various factors:
- A hair, hair, or something caught in the ear that touches the eardrum.
- Presence of a tumor, cyst, or goiter on the neck.
- Gastroesophageal reflux.
- Throat problems, pain, or laryngitis.
If the hiccups are very persistent, it is important that you consult your doctor to give the necessary follow-up for your health problem.
Learn more tips to improve your health and quality of life in Easy Kitchen