Mushrooms are one of the most popular and healthy vegetables, that’s why we share the secret of how to prepare mushrooms.
What are they?
Mushrooms are a kind of mushroom, it is characterized by being the most used in gastronomy and by having a fleshy cap of a hemispherical or flat shape, of pale gray color.
They have a neutral flavor with a light aroma and a smooth texture, thanks to these characteristics they are used to prepare a wide variety of recipes, from salads, soups and stews, either as a main ingredient or as a companion. However, to make the most of them in recipes, it is necessary to prepare them correctly.
You are interested: Tips for steaming vegetables
How to prepare mushrooms?
- Cut off the end of the log, as more soil accumulates in this part.
- To wash them, avoid putting them to soak, this will cause them to accumulate more water and take time to cook, especially if you want to grill them.
- Pass them quickly through the jet of water, taking care that it is not too strong and does not hit them directly.
- Another option to clean them is to use a clean damp cloth or absorbent paper. There are also special brushes for mushrooms.
- Rub the mushrooms with fast, circular movements, but taking care that they are not too strong so as not to break them.
- Although it is to wash them one by one, the idea is that you do it quickly so that it does not take too much time. You must put more detail if you are going to use them raw.
- If you are going to use them raw, you just have to let them dry a little and slice them.
- For stews or garnishes you can slice them or cut them in four.
- Use a short, sharp knife, this will allow you to make the slices more even.
- Drizzle them with a little lemon juice to prevent staining.
- Since they absorb too much fat, use butter or vegetable oils to cook them.
- To enhance its flavor as a garnish, you just have to grill them with a little oil or sauté them in a pan with butter, onion and spices.
- Store the leftovers in a paper bag or on a plate with absorbent paper, avoid using plastic bags as they trap moisture and make them viscous.
You are interested: 20 recipes to enjoy delicious mushrooms
Nutrients of mushrooms
- Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, C, D and E
- Vegetal protein
Find more quick cooking tips in Easy Kitchen