Knowing how to make pozole should be a skill of every good Mexican, although there are different types, the preparation base is the same, keep reading to know the correct procedure in detail.
Origin of the pozole
The pozole is one of the most traditional dishes in Mexico, it was prepared since pre-Hispanic times where it was offered to the god Xipe Tótec that symbolized the renewal of the skin. Pozole in Nahuatl means foam, because when prepared when the cacahuazintle corn kernels begin to boil, they open up so that they look like foam. Being such an old recipe, it has had modifications over the years and its ingredients change according to the region, for example in Guerrero green tomato is added, in Michoacán chicharron, in the coastal areas sardines and in Colima white cheese.
You are interested in reading: How many calories does a plate of pozole have
How to make pozole step by step
If this is the first time that you are going to prepare pozole and you have no idea where to start, keep reading because here we explain it briefly.
- 6 cups of hominy corn or precooked cacahuazintle
- 4 liters of water
- 1 head of garlic peeled
- 2 medium onions, split
- 1/2 kilo of pork head in cubes
- 1/2 kilo of pork pulp cut into pieces
- Salt for seasoning
- Rinse and head the corn, that is, remove the small part that each granite has at the bottom. It is very important that you do this with the corn kernels because otherwise it will not flower.
- After cleaning the corn, put it in a pot with water, add the head of garlic and the onion, leave it until it pops or sponges. Here you should pay attention, because as such, when the pozolero corn bursts it is not like popcorn, it simply gradually fractures and acquires a shape similar to a flower, that is what it will indicate when it is ready.
- Meanwhile, cook the meat separately. For this you will need about 3 liters of water, the most important thing to take care of is that the water completely covers the meat, use medium heat, for 1 hour or until the meat is soft. With a spoon, remove the foam that is forming, therefore, try to constantly check the saucepan.
- When the meat is ready, take it out and wait for it to cool before you start to peel it. In this way, when serving it together with the pozole, it will be more practical.
- Add the meat broth to the pot where the corn is, this is done to give the pozole a better flavor but, be careful! pay close attention not to leave foam.
- Add the meat and season. If it is red or green pozole, you must blend the ingredients for the sauce and add it to the pot before the meat.
- Cook covered over medium heat for 60 minutes or more, do not forget to rectify the flavor a couple of times.
- There is a long list of ingredients to serve the pozole: sliced lettuce, chopped onion, cabbage, cream, ground oregano, lemon juice, radish slices, avocado, fresh cheese, pork rinds, sauce or chili powder, this will depend on each person Therefore, all these accessories are placed in the center of the table.
Was it clear to you how to make pozole? Keep reading because in the final part of our article we have the classic pozole recipes that you will undoubtedly love to know.
Are you interested in reading: 15 Mexican dishes that you can make at home
Learn more food recipes in Easy Cocina
Jalisco style pozole
Many say that Jalisco-style pozole is the richest of all the different types of pozole that exist, therefore, in Easy Kitchen we have decided to share the recipe …
Green pozole: an exquisite recipe that you must make at home
No matter the month of the year, you always want to savor a delicious green pozole. If you have not tried it, you are missing an exquisite dish of Mexican cuisine. …
White chicken pozole
For Mexican dishes that we love to eat at any time of year we have the delicious white chicken pozole, that typical delicacy that we should all know how to prepare. So that you are not the …