Organic waste from your kitchen is really useful when it comes to taking care of our garden, since it can be used to make a homemade compost.
Go ahead and take advantage of your kitchen waste and make this homemade compost easily. We give you the step by step!
It may interest you: 5 homemade organic fertilizers for your garden and indoor plants
What is a compost?
This is a type of soil made from organic waste and obtained from a process called composting.
In this process, the microorganisms decompose the organic matter to generate a kind of compost that contributes to improving the environment and enriching the land and crops.
The residues that are recommended to compost are:
- Greens, such as fruits and vegetables; Eggshells and also coffee remains, as they have a high nitrogen content.
- Also recommended are “brown” items, such as pieces of wood, cow, horse, sheep droppings, cardboard, paper, and dead leaves, which add a high carbon content to the compost.
- In addition, you need a compost bin: this can be a jar that has metal slits as a lid that allow it to be ventilated.
Do not miss: Caring for plants is an excellent therapy, according to experts
Step by Step:
- Place a layer of straw about 30 centimeters high in the boat and on top of it, garden waste, sawdust, vegetable waste and moisten with a little water.
- Add a 2-inch layer of food scraps and re-moisten.
- Add a 4-inch layer of shredded manure and moisten.
- Alternate other layers equal to the previous ones.
- Turn the compost over every 2 weeks and then every week. Take care of its temperature and humidity.
- Once the compost is ready, store on a shoreline and store in a dry place until you use it to fertilize your garden.
Discover more tips for your home and garden in Easy Kitchen