It’s a question we’ve all asked ourselves: Is avocado a fruit or a vegetable? We have the answer and, incidentally, we teach you how to easily plant it at home so you can have your own avocados.
Do not miss: Avocado: the fashionable ingredient in beauty
Is avocado a fruit or a vegetable?
Believe it or not, avocado is a fruit and a vegetable at the same time! It is a very particular fruit, because unlike the vast majority, it has a high caloric content and is rich in fat.
But do not worry! Despite these characteristics, avocados are not fattening, but rather protect against obesity and being overweight.
The word avocado comes from Nahuatl, ahuacatl, which means “testicle”. possibly to the similarity that this fruit has between the fruit and this part of the body.
This occurs in an arboreal spice tree called avocado, which grows in tropical and subtropical climates.
For its development, a deep and permeable soil is needed, and in an area that is not floodable or prone to flooding.
It may interest you: Beautiful works of art created with avocado seeds
Learn how to grow avocado at home
Now yes! It is time for you to have your own avocado harvest at home. Follow this simple procedure:
- 1 avocado seed or pit
- 3 toothpicks
- 1 glass with water
- Fertile land
- 1 pot
- Clean the avocado seed and place it in a glass of water (the water level should cover half of the seed).
- When you have the measure of water, take out the seed and stick the three toothpicks in the middle.
- Wait for the root to sprout. This will take 3-4 weeks. When the root reaches about 10 centimeters, remove the seed from the water and remove the toothpicks.
- Prepare the pot. Plant the nugget so that half is in the soil and the other half is outside. Don’t forget to water it. It is very important that the soil is moist but not muddy.
- In just over a month the first leaves will start to sprout. As it grows, figure out the right time to transplant it to a larger location.
Discover more lifestyle tips for your home at Easy Kitchen