Don’t miss out on the incredible flavor of this fish! We show you how desalinate cod in simple steps so you can prepare delicious seasonal dishes.
Do not miss: 8 different recipes to prepare cod
How to desalinate cod in simple steps
Although quality is important, the careful preparation of this fish that begins with the desalination process is more; But you have to be patient, it takes a long time.
Follow these tips:
- Cut the cod into equal pieces.
- If it has thorns, remove any that stick out easily.
- Place the fish in a container, preferably glass, and add enough cold water to cover it.
- After 12 hours drain it, change the water and let it rest for another 12 hours.
- If the cod is very salty, at 8 hours repeat the water change or extend the soaking period, but you should never leave it in water for more than 40 hours, as it ferments.
It may interest you: Warm cod salad with arugula and tangerines
How to preserve it so that it does not lose its flavor
- Salty – This is the oldest method and can last for several months. It consists of cutting, removing entrails and filleting the fish and completely covering it with salt to dry it.
- In the freezer: it can be frozen both fresh and already salted. The ideal is to consume it within two months.
- Refrigerate it: if you are going to consume it in the short term, you can store it in the refrigerator. Of course, you cannot store it for more than two days. If the cod is cooked, you can keep it for up to 5 days.
Maybe you’re interested: Broccoli and cod soup
Tip: When you go to the supermarket, try to choose the cod at the end of your shopping, so that it arrives home as fresh as possible and thus the cold chain to the product is not lost.
When you get home, immediately put it in the refrigerator, either to refrigerate or to freeze.
Discover more useful tips to cook delicious in Easy Kitchen