For those who are new to the kitchen, surely they are exploring a completely new world and different from how they once imagined it would be, since, what on the surface seems easy, for those who are just starting in the culinary art can become this task into something complicated.
As we do not all mess with things the same way, at Easy Kitchen we want to make your first steps in the kitchen something simpler, so you can see that this new experience is much better than you expected and that you can fall in love with it. act instantly.
One of the basic steps we must start with is learning to cut, chop and / or wash our food correctly, a task that, although you have many years of experience in the kitchen, many do not do it correctly.
If you want to know how to cut onion correctly for various dishes, keep reading, this information interests you.
MAYBE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN How to wash and disinfect spinach correctly
How to cut onion correctly?
- Remove the first layer. Cut them in half (tail to tip).
- Cut off the tip and split it in half again without cutting it all the way.
- Cut lengthwise until before the end.
- Chop slices vertically and you will get fine cubes. Throw away the leftover.
Preparing the onion
Chopped. It must be done on a plastic base, since the wooden board gets too impregnated with its characteristic smell. The chopped onion is used to prepare different sauces, cooked or raw, and to garnish snacks.
In earrings. It is thinly sliced and then the rings are separated. They are used mainly as a garnish.
MAYBE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN 10 benefits of onion
Half moons. The onion is split in half, horizontally; in turn, each half is cut into thin slices.
Slices. It is sliced after having been cut vertically into quarters. It is used mainly for soupy stews.
How to use onion
Chopped. It is used to prepare sauces, cooked or raw, and also to decorate the typical snacks made with dough.
MAYBE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN How to “cure” aluminum pots
In hoops. It is thinly sliced, then the rings are separated and garnished.
Half moons. The onion is split in half, horizontally; in turn, each half is cut into thin slices and so they are used for salads.
Slices. It is first cut vertically into quarters and then sliced for use in soupy stews.
Either way, as you prefer, try to cut it on a plastic base, since the wooden board becomes too impregnated with its characteristic smell.
Yellow onions have a long shelf life as long as the conditions are right:
- If they are not going to be used at the moment, the first layer should not come off.
- They should be left in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place, and protected from sunlight.
- Onions absorb moisture from other produce, take that into account.
- Due to their strong aroma, it is recommended not to store them together with food susceptible to being contaminated such as apples, pears and celery.
What’s in an onion?
Cooked, for each cup it gives you:
- 92 calories
- 2.8 g protein
- 3 g of fiber
- 0.4 g fat
- 0 g of saturated fat
- 20 g carbohydrates
There are onions for all tastes and preparations. Get to know them and take advantage of them in your kitchen.
Chives, chambray or Chinese onion
Echalote (similar to garlic)
Take away the tears
Why does it make us cry? Find out and avoid it
- When cut, they release sulfuric acid. This substance is the cause of tearing.
- Use a sharp, wet knife. This will prevent your eyes from crying.
- Also a glass of water on the side helps to avoid annoying tearing. Test it.