We know how important it is for you to take care of your pet. Discover some home remedies for fight ticks and prevent them from becoming a problem.
It may interest you: What is a zoonotic disease?
What are ticks?
Ticks are small blood-sucking ectoparasites, which means that they usually live on the body of different animals, mainly on the surface. Besides being unpleasant, they can become a serious health problem for your pets. Its bite can generate intense itching, allergies and in more advanced cases diseases.
When they jump towards the body of the pet, they have a small size that increases as they feed, the longer it takes to eliminate them, the more damage it can cause to the health of your best friend and even for you.
You are interested: Ice cream for dogs? Yes it exists and we have the recipe
- Nutritional deficits
- Pictures of anemia
You are interested: Benefits of pumpkin squash for your dog!
4 home remedies to eliminate ticks
Homemade citrus repellent
Boil the peel of an orange and the peel of two lemons for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and apply on your pet’s fur. Be very careful when spraying it on the head, especially avoid the eye and mouth area. If you have a cat, you may want to use another option as they are often bothered by the citrus scent.
It is one of the most versatile and effective natural remedies, thanks to the fact that it has great antiseptic properties and a natural repellent power due to its acetic acid. To apply it you just have to dilute 500 ml of apple cider vinegar in 500 ml of water, spread the mixture throughout your body.
You are interested in: Uses of vinegar for cleaning your home
Rose geranium essential oil
It is a natural repellent and to apply it just put a few drops in the palm of your hands, then apply between your pet’s shoulder blades and continue to the base of his tail. It is a great natural option, it has no side effects. We recommend applying it before taking a walk as prevention.
Just prepare an infusion or chamomile tea, let it cool and apply to the area of the bites with the help of a cotton ball. This option works as a natural repellent that drives these pesky critters out of the fur.
- When applying any product avoid contact with your eyes, mouth and nose.
- Avoid licking after applying any repellent.
- It is best to apply the remedies or repellants before bathing him.
- If you don’t want to spray it directly, use a clean cloth or gauze to apply it to your body.
- Consult the vet if you have any questions or if the problem is very serious.
- Several of these remedies also help you fight fleas.
- Even if your pet does not have ticks or fleas, it is good to use some oil or special product to prevent them, especially if your pet spends a lot of time in gardens.
- Look for products like shampoos, sprays, or collars at pet stores.
- Always brush after applying to better distribute the repellent.
- If after applying these remedies the problem persists, you should go to your veterinarian.
- Do not pick the ticks directly, since if you do not know how to do it, you can leave some legs or parts of the head inside the skin, which can cause an infection.
Find more tips for your home in Easy Kitchen