If you want to know what to do with all the food that was left in your kitchen after a big meeting, keep reading and know this guide to freeze food. Here we will explain some details that you should consider when starting to refrigerate certain dishes.
Freezing food may seem like a simple process that does not require great science, since it is only a matter of introducing the products to the fridge, but it is not like that, since each ingredient or dish requires certain care so that it does not lose its quality or properties organoleptic, that is, its taste, smell, color and texture.
Maybe you are interested: Tips to accelerate metabolism naturally
Guide to freezing food
Follow these simple tips that will serve as a guide to freeze food correctly, in this way you will not lose the benefits of the food that you have decided to keep for a longer time.
- Food must be protected by freezer bags or other materials such as opaque film or papers. This will prevent the surface from being burned by the high temperature and certain areas from darkening due to changes in the concentration of pigments.
- When you go to the supermarket, make sure that the last thing you add to your cart are frozen products such as vegetables, meat and poultry, among others, so you will try not to break the cold chain; It is also advisable to transport them home in thermal bags that help protect them from the cold until you can put them back in your fridge. eye! If there are sudden changes in temperature, certain bacteria could reproduce quickly.
- You must bear in mind that during the freezing process ice crystals form inside the food, which causes a breakdown in the protein structure of the food, therefore, we recommend that you start freezing as soon as possible, since if you delay , more nutrients may be lost.
- Freezing food at a high temperature generates the proliferation of microorganisms, so it is better to do it at the lowest possible temperature.
- Put your food in special bags to refrigerate, remove all the air before sealing. We suggest you do not keep large portions of food in them. Once the bag is closed, label with the name and date of freezing.
Maybe you’re interested: Benefits of probiotics on the skin
- Try to correctly accommodate the food that you are going to store. Arrange your food so that there is space between them and the air circulates.
- If you want to freeze ready-made foods such as stews or soups, empty them into a plastic container with a lid, then wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for 30 minutes before freezing. Sealing the food well will allow it not to absorb other odors.
- There are foods that, due to their characteristics, should never be frozen, such as dairy products, sauces (containing flour or starch), fruits and vegetables with a high water content.
- Avoid freezing and defrosting the same food several times, if you do it, it will lose its nutritional value and flavor, and you can also cause your family and you to suffer food poisoning.
- If you are going to use a food already frozen, we recommend you take it out and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours so that it begins to adapt to a new temperature. If you forgot or are in a hurry and you need to defrost it, put the food in a container with cold water to help melt the ice, never use hot water in this step.
Maybe you’re interested: Tips for a spectacular picnic
Not all foods are frozen in the same way
- Meat. Before freezing it you have to clean it very well, remove bones and fat. Wrap chunks of meat with servings for one to two servings of food; Store them in sealed bags or plastic wrap and mark the date it was frozen.
- Vegetables. We suggest that you do not freeze the vegetables that you buy fresh, but, if necessary, it is best to clean and disinfect them to eliminate bacteria.
- Fish. Before freezing it is essential to clean it well, peel it, remove the interior, as well as the head. Later, wrap it in aluminum foil or film and now you can save it.
- Eggs. This is a food that should not be frozen either but, in case you need to do so, we recommend you star it and place it in a container with a lid or cover it with plastic wrap. If you put them in the freezer with the shell, the only thing you will cause is that they break.
Taking care of your food is a simple task if you have the right information to do it, it prevents your food from spoiling and thus generating waste. We hope this guide to freezing food is very helpful for you. Share it!
Learn more cooking tips at Easy Kitchen