The Bass It is one of the most appreciated fish during the Christmas holidays, despite the fact that not so long ago it had a reputation for being the food of the sick. The truth is that it is a very healthy food, and that if we enjoy in its season we will be able to savor to the maximum both in more luxurious dishes and in lighter recipes.
Today we find seabass all year round thanks to the fish farms, but their best time is the cold months, especially from December. If we are lucky enough to get a wild specimen, we will have a real feast that we can prepare in many different ways. So that ideas are not lacking, these recipes with sea bass they sure whet your appetite.
Although it is classified as white fish, seabass or snook can also be considered semi-fat depending on the time and origin of the animal. In any case it is still a lean fish that provides a great source of protein of high quality, in addition to vitamins and minerals, highlighting for example its contribution of calcium and potassium.
Traditionally it is cooked in the oven, for example with salt, but it is also possible to enjoy grilled sea bass or combined with seafood sauces. The ration copies are very comfortable to distribute among the diners, although a large wild sea bass to share with the family is a luxury that hardly needs anything else to turn the meal into a feast.
Five essential recipes with sea bass
1. Sea Bass Donostiarra style
- Ingredients for 2 people. 2 clean whole sea bass, 4 cloves of garlic (more or less, to taste), 2 dried or fresh chillies, 20 ml of cider or white wine vinegar, fresh parsley, salt, ground black pepper, virgin olive oil extra.
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 200ºC and grease a dish. Heat a little oil in a frying pan or grill and brown the sea bass skin side up, about 3 minutes. Place on the baking sheet upside down, skin side down. Add a little pepper and salt (optional), bake for about 8-10 minutes or until just done. Meanwhile thinly slice the garlic cloves and chop or cut the chilli into rings. Heat about 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the same pan or saucepan and add the garlic. Wait a couple of minutes and add the chilli. Cook over medium-low heat without getting lost. When they are toasted, remove and add the vinegar, shaking the pan. Also add the possible juices that the sea bass will have released, which will now be ready. Serve with the sauce and chopped parsley.
Complete recipe | Donostiarra sea bass: traditional recipe without complications
2. Sea bass fillets in salt
- Ingredients for 3 people. 3 fillets of seabass, or a tenderloin and a tail of seabass open in half, 1.5 kg of baking salt, extra virgin olive oil and aluminum foil.
- Elaboration. When using loins in fillets, we cannot leave the part that does not have skin in contact with the salt. We line the skinless part with aluminum foil, making a kind of mold. We remove the fish to put a little olive oil and we put each piece back into its aluminum portion, leaving the part with skin outside. To avoid staining the tray, we also put a sheet of aluminum foil on top and on it, we arrange the fish slices, with the skin facing up. We cover each of them with special baking salt. Normally it comes a little damp but if that is not the case, we moisten it a little so that it can be handled better. Bake at 190º for 30 minutes. With a blow with the handle of a knife, we break the crust and remove it. With a brush we sweep them carefully and transfer them to the plate where we are going to serve them.
Complete recipe | Sea bass fillets in salt. Prescription
3. Baked sea bass with potatoes
- Ingredients for 2 people. 2 portion sea bass, 2 potatoes (300 g approximately), 1 onion (150 g approximately), 2 branches of rosemary, 1 lemon, extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- Elaboration. We peel the potatoes, wash them and cut them in half lengthwise. Then we cut into slices half a centimeter thick. We peel the onion and cut it into julienne. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the potato and onion for 15 minutes over medium-low heat. We season to taste. Cover the base of an elongated baking dish with a drizzle of oil, place the potato and onion on the base and the two washed rosemary branches. We put the clean seabass to which we will have made two cuts on the loins and filled with lemon half moons. Season, drizzle with more oil and cook in a preheated oven at 190ºC for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Complete recipe | Baked sea bass with potatoes, an easy and delicious recipe
4. Sea bass in cider with clams
- Ingredients for 4 people. 1 large sea bass (about 1.5 kg), 1/2 bottle of cider, 20 clams, 250 ml of fish stock or stock, a few sprigs of fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Elaboration. We leave the clams to soak, changing the water several times to avoid any remaining soil. Flour the sea bass loins and fry lightly in the pan or pan in which we are going to cook them. With the bones and the head, a leek and a carrot we can prepare the fish broth. Once we have turned the loins of the sea bass, we add the clams to the source, dividing them into the holes, a good bunch of chopped parsley, a glass of fish broth and two of cider, letting the fish cook for a while. 10 minutes. We remove the loins and also remove the clams as they open. We let the sauce reduce or we pass it to a saucepan to thicken. We serve the sea bass in a platter placing one tenderloin up and the other down, and surround with the clams. Add the sauce and decorate with more parsley.
Complete recipe | Sea bass in cider with clams. Fish recipe to make without turning on the oven
5. Roasted sea bass with root vegetables in cider
- Ingredients for 3 people. 1 large sea bass or 3 servings, 2 potatoes, 2 carrots, 1 large turnip, 1 parsnip, 1 kohlrabi, 1 lemon, 2 glasses of cider, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 handful fresh parsley, black pepper, salt, extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Wash and peel all the vegetables. Cut the potatoes into wedges and the rest into sticks or cubes. Grease a baking dish with a little oil and add the potatoes and carrots. Cover with 1 glass of water and 1 glass of cider, season and add thyme and rosemary. Bake 15 minutes. Add the rest of the vegetables, 1/2 glass of cider and ground cumin. Bake for 20-25 more minutes, making sure it does not dry out. Season the cleaned fish with black pepper, parsley and lemon juice and add it to the pan, skin side up. Add the rest of the cider and bake until the sea bass is just right. Serve with a little extra lemon.
Complete recipe | Roasted sea bass with “root” vegetables in cider. Prescription