Are you looking for a new food that, in addition to tasting delicious, is the perfect snack? Read on and learn all about him celery and its properties.
Celery is one of the most popular Mediterranean herbs that can be easily grown as a vegetable in home and even urban gardens. Before, a medicinal plant, now popular for being a food for daily consumption. For this and more you should know celery and its properties.
You are interested in reading: 13 super delicious recipes with quinoa
Celery and its properties
- Celery helps reduce stress. The magnesium and essential oil in this food can calm the nervous system. If you have a celery-based snack in the evening, you will be able to sleep much better.
- It contains a good supply of minerals such as potassium, sodium, calcium, manganese and magnesium. Potassium especially helps with fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
- It is a good source of vitamin A. 100 grams of fresh celery contains 15% of the required daily levels of this vitamin.
- Its leaves contain flavonoid antioxidants, such as zea-xanthin, lutein and beta-carotene, which help in the protection and immune stimulation functions of cancer, specifically that of the pancreas and breast.
- Celery is rich in vital vitamins, including folic acid and others like riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin C, which are essential for optimal metabolism function.
- Its large amount of vitamin K helps in increasing bone mass by promoting osteoblastic activity in the bones. It also plays an important role in Alzheimer’s disease patients, limiting neuronal damage in the brain.
How to choose celery?
Its stems should be vertical and break when bent. The leaves should be fresh and crisp. When selecting celery, remember this rule of thumb: the darker the color, the stronger the flavor.
You are interested in reading: 25 really delicious pumpkin flower recipes
Tips about celery and its properties
- Its seeds can be used as a condiment. Do it in moderation for its strong flavor
- Raw or cooked, celery will provide you with many benefits
- The calories it provides are so low that when you chew it, you expend energy similar to what you eat it
What’s in 100 grams of celery?
- Energy: 14 Kcal
- Protein: 0.69 g
- Fiber 16 g
- Sugar: 1.83 g
- Fat: 0.17 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 80 mg
- Potassium: 260 mg
- Carbohydrate: 2.97 g
- Fat: saturated: 0.043 g
- Polyunsaturated: 0.081 g
- Monounsaturated: 0.032 g
Do not miss: Learn about the benefits of coriander found by science
Tips to better preserve celery and its properties
- Don’t leave celery at room temperature for too long as it tends to wilt quickly. Refrigerate it.
- Freshly chopped fresh celery retains its nutrients much better than chopping and storing it. Once you cut it, consume it as soon as possible.
- Celery is one of the few vegetables that when steamed not only preserves its flavor, but also most of its nutrients.
- To store celery in the refrigerator, keep it in an airtight container or wrap it in a plastic bag to preserve it.
- Celery plants contain 16 calories per 100 g of leaves, which makes it an enviable snack for those on a diet or diet.
- Due to its properties, celery is considered one of the most valuable and low-calorie foods for our body.
Now that you know everything about this vegetable, feel free to share with others what celery is and its properties. And most importantly, add it to your daily diet.
Learn more good foods for your health and nutrition in Easy Kitchen