It’s almost time for lunch, and we’re already hungry! We have the ideal recipe for today: some stewed with jerky and pumpkin seeds. Take note to prepare them and we will enjoy their flavor.
It may interest you: 5 DISHES WITH WHICH YOU WILL BECOME AN EXPERT IN MEXICAN FOOD
Recipe for empipianadas with jerky and pumpkin seeds
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 100 g peeled pumpkin seed
- 1 serrano chili to taste
- 100 g fresh cheese
- 1 onion slice
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 12 tortillas
- 500 g jerky
- Oil for frying
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
Don’t miss: Chicken in green mole
- Grill the onion and chili in a skillet without oil. Separately do the same with the seeds as well (use a lid as they jump) until they are well browned.
- Blend the pepitas with the onion, the chili, the broth and two or three grains of pepper and salt until it becomes a smooth paste (like the consistency of mole). Reservation.
- Put a little oil in a frying pan, when it is hot, turn off the heat and add the seed paste. Turn the heat low and stir for two or three minutes until it comes to a boil. This is important so that it does not cut.
- Fry the tortillas and reserve. In another pan, grill the jerky, when it is ready, pass the tortillas through the pipián and serve. Decorate the empipianadas with pepitas or grated fresh cheese.
You are interested: How to make mole de olla easily
Learn about the history of the pipián
Fray Bernardino de Sahagún, in his book General History of the Things of New Spain, says that MOCTEZUMA enjoyed pipián a lot and it was even one of his favorite dishes.
At that time, the dish consisted of a casserole made with red chili, tomatoes and pumpkin seeds that were ground. After the arrival of the Spanish, it was prepared with chickens.
The main component of this dish is pumpkin seeds. However, each pipian is different with respect to its flavor, color, ingredients and consistency.
For example, in the State of Mexico it is green in color, as it is made with parsley, lettuce, poblano pepper, coriander, epazote and green pepper.
In Chihuahua it is usually red, since it is made with red chili.
ACHIOTE is one of the main ingredients for the pipián that is made in Yucatán. Of course, they use pumpkin seeds seasoned with corn dough and dried chili.
And in OAXACA, one of their ingredients is the ancho chili, and they combine them with the delicious flavors of cinnamon and sesame.
So that you don’t get the craving, we have prepared for you more RECIPES WITH CECINA, super delicious. Continue in EASY KITCHEN and enjoy richer and more original flavors