The empanadas They are the best options to share, and with all these recipes you can never get bored and every day you can try a new flavor.
Empanadas are basically small folded dough discs that can be filled with practically any ingredient, meat, seafood, cheese, vegetables, fruits, jams, etc. They can be prepared baked or fried and be sweet or salty.
Origin of empanadas
Its name comes from the Spanish “empanar” which literally means to cover or enclose something in a dough or bread. It is believed that it arose from the custom of filling bread with vegetables and different dishes for travelers, in the Middle Ages they realized that meat and food were preserved for longer when they were wrapped in dough and baked, that is how it was how dishes such as Italian “calzone”, British “pasties” and of course empanadas emerged.
[Encuentra más ideas de relleno para tus empanadas en Vix: 7 ideas de rellenos de empanadas para acompañar tus comidas]
Although there are currently different versions, the first empanadas emerged in Spain, during the time of the Arab invasions, since then they are an important part of the gastronomy of different regions such as Asturias, Cantabria and above all, Galicia where the Festival of the Patty.
At the beginning they were prepared mainly from seafood and meat, but over time around the world empanadas of all flavors have been created, also depending on the country or region the size and shape may change.
You’re interested: 30 irresistible pizza recipes for all tastes
Variations of empanadas in the world
- Galicia and Portugal: They are prepared in a similar way to a cake that is cut into pieces.
- Cuba: They are also known as empanadillas, they are fried and are usually made from mincemeat or chicken.
- Argentina: They are one of the most famous in the world, they come in all flavors and are in the shape of a semicircle closed with a simba (made under pressure).
- Bolivia: There are different types, the most popular are the salteñas with liquid filling and the fried cake.
- Colombia: They are prepared with a dough of corn or flour, the most famous are those of añejo, stuffed with rice, peas or peas and meat.
- Costa Rica: The favorites are those made with banana dough, stuffed with beans.
- Mexico: The fillings change according to the region and can be baked or fried.
- Indonesia: Known as panadas, they have a thick crust of fried bread and are filled with tuna and hot chili peppers.
You are interested: How to make pizza dough
How to make dough for empanadas?
- 500 g of wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 200g butter
Step by Step
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Sift the flour and place in a bowl, along with the salt and sugar.
- Add the melted butter.
- Mix for 8 minutes or until it forms a homogeneous dough that does not stick.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll out with a rolling pin and cut small circles with a cutter or the rim of a glass.
Discover all our dessert recipes in Easy Kitchen
Guava cheese empanadas
These guava cheese empanadas are ideal for dessert time, the puff pastry gives it a crunchy texture that you will love.
Enjoy a delicious and practical meal with this recipe for mushroom patties, you will love its slightly spicy touch.
Creamy spinach empanadas
These creamy spiny empanadas are ideal to share, you can also use them as a starter for a dinner.
Learn how to prepare some tuna empanadas
Fulfill your cravings and learn how to prepare some classic tuna empanadas with this quick and easy recipe that we have for you.
Delicious fish patties
This delicious fish patties recipe is perfect for the Lenten season or for a family gathering.
Whether it’s for the Lenten season or for a daytime craving, you have to try these delicious cod patties.
Argentinian meat empanadas
Argentine empanadas are a classic that cannot be missing from your recipe book and this recipe is perfect to prepare them.
Accompany your evenings with this delicious recipe for pumpkin empanadas made with filo type pasta. They will be your favorites.
Chorizo empanadas with pepper
Enjoy a classic mix of flavors at lunchtime with this recipe for chorizo empanadas with peppers.
To surprise everyone we share a delicious and practical recipe for apple empanadas, they are perfect with a good cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
This recipe for sweet empanadas is perfect to prepare during the holidays with the children, it is easy and fast.
Rice patties with rompope
This recipe for eggnog dipped rice patties is perfect for those occasions when you need a dessert to share with the whole family.
Ham empanadas with slices
Empanadas are a practical and delicious option to share at a party, we invite you to try some classic ham empanadas with slices.
Pork patties with olives
Do not be left with the desire to learn how to prepare new things in the kitchen, experiment and know everything you can do and a good option to start is …
Ground beef patties
Lose your fear of certain dishes. Ground beef patties are not difficult to make if you follow our recipe. With whom would you share this delicious empanada? Learn more recipes with …
Banana empanadas with beans
The plantain empanadas with beans are the clear example that the plantain is a great ingredient in the kitchen. Check what else you need to make this dish …
Ricotta cheese and spinach empanadas guilt-free recipes
One of the foods that undoubtedly take away from us when dieting is bread. If you are a fan, don’t worry! Indulge yourself with these ricotta cheese and spinach empanadas …