The image of the beautiful fig trees and the aroma that is breathed under their shade in summer brings back fond memories of my childhood. Every year we eagerly waited for its delicious fruits to finish ripening to put on our boots. These eleven perfect recipes for fig lovers They show that, in addition to being a freshly picked delicacy, fantastic dishes can be prepared by cooking with this fruit.
After having said goodbye to the figs, which usually appear in June, we already have the figs that announce autumn in their splendor. Must take advantage of the short season to fully enjoy of its flavor and its culinary possibilities. Rich in sugars, fresh figs can be a great ingredient to enrich both sweet and savory dishes, especially with cheeses.
Pipirrana recipe Jaén salad is the perfect summer garnish
For breakfast: spiced fig and walnut jam
Short season fruits like figs are my favorites to take advantage of and prepare homemade preserves to enjoy them all year round. In addition to the most basic jam -and its version in Thermomix-, we have this fig and walnut jam that shows that it is a perfect fruit to prepare jams, and we can flavor it with spices to give it a special touch.
We clean the figs, discard the stems and leave the skin if it is not very thick. We chop them, cover with the sugar, the lemon juice and the orange zest. We wrap the spices in a gauze tied with kitchen cord, we also introduce them in the bowl, cover with film and leave to marinate for a few hours or overnight. We pass the mixture to a saucepan and put on a low heat. We tie the string that closes the species to a handle of the pot so that it escapes when stirring. Cook for approximately 40 minutes, until the jam is ready. We remove the sachet of spices, add the walnuts and distribute the jam in clean and sterilized jars.
At aperitif time, nems of serrano ham and mascarpone with melon and figs
With fresh or dried figs we can assemble in just a few minutes a delicious snack inspired by the traditional Asian snack. The serrano ham and mascarpone nems with melon and figs will surprise everyone with the exquisite combination of flavors and textures.
- Ingredients. 4 large slices of very thin Serrano ham, 150 g of melon, 6 dried figs, 200 g of mascarpone cheese, 2 tablespoons of Port, pepper and salt.
- Elaboration. We will start by cutting the figs into small pieces and putting them in a bowl with the Port. Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes. Once the time passes we drain them for a kitchen paper. While we cut the melon into cubes and mix it in a bowl with the mascarpone cheese, the fig cubes, the salt and the pepper. Mix well with a fork until smooth. Then we spread a piece of kitchen film on the worktop and spread the slice of Serrano ham, add a quarter of the filling and roll delicately aided by the film. Once we have obtained a cylinder, we film it like a candy, letting it rest for two hours in the fridge. We repeat this operation with the three remaining slices of ham and the rest of the filling.
A different salad, with crunchy figs and Stilton cheese
Figs can be add to almost any salad, but if you want to surprise at home with a different presentation, try this one with crunchy figs and Stilton cheese. It is ideal for a dinner with guests.
- Ingredients. 8 ripe purple figs, 8 slices of Iberian bacon, 200 g of lettuce sprouts and arugula, 40 ml of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of Sherry vinegar, 120 g of Stilton cheese, salt and pepper.
- Elaboration. We will start by wrapping each whole fig in a slice of bacon and closing it with a toothpick. We put a frying pan on the fire with a few drops of oil and over medium heat we brown the wrapped figs until the bacon is crisp and the fruit is soft. We reserve in a warm place so that they do not get cold. In a small bowl, combine the oil and vinegar making an emulsion. Spread the lettuce sprouts and season with the salt, oil and vinegar, place the crunchy figs, two per serving, and place the diced or crumbled Stilton cheese around them. Pour another string of seasoning over the fruit and serve quickly.
With vegetables, pumpkin spiced with aubergine, figs and honey
This vegetable dish spiced with figs and honey reminds of Moroccan cuisine and that’s why I like to serve it with couscous when I prepare it at home. The good thing is that it can be tasted hot but it is also very good warmer, more recommended during the summer.
- Ingredients. 450 g of peeled pumpkin, 1 medium aubergine, about 6 scallions or French onions, a handful of peeled almonds, about 5-6 fresh figs, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 piece of fresh ginger, 1 large or 2 small cinnamon stick , 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 dash of red wine, extra virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper, parsley or coriander .
- Elaboration. Chop the pumpkin and the aubergine into cubes, peel the shallots and chop the garlic clove. Heat a little oil in a saucepan with the cinnamon stick and grated ginger. When they begin to release aroma, add the whole shallots or onions and the garlic clove. Cook everything for a few minutes over medium heat. Add the almonds and give a few turns. Add the pumpkin and the aubergine, season slightly and add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and honey. Water with a jet of red wine and let the alcohol evaporate. Lower the heat and cover to cook for about 20 minutes. Add water or broth if you lose too much liquid. When the vegetables are very tender, remove the cinnamon, add the chopped figs and cook for a couple more minutes.
Fresh goat cheese, figs and honey pizza
Summer and vacations lend themselves a lot to prepare pizzas with family or friends, also with figs. A little goat cheese and a touch of honey complete the flavors of a different pizza that surprises with its flavor.
- Ingredients. 200 g of flour, 100 ml of water, 25 ml of olive oil, half an envelope of baker’s yeast, 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Ingredients for the stuffing. 250 g of fresh goat cheese, 4 purple figs, 25 ml of light honey, basil leaves.
- Elaboration. In a bowl we add the warm water and the oil, the dry yeast and the sugar. We stir with a few rods and leave ten minutes to check that the yeast foams. Add the flour with the salt and knead with your hands until you get an elastic dough that does not stick. We leave it in a container in a warm place for an hour to light. Degas and stretch it on a baking tray or pizza stone. We preheat the oven to 220º C. For the filling, we crumble 3/4 parts of the cheese and we spread it. We cut the figs into quarters and distribute them on top. We bake for 20-25 minutes. When we see the cooked dough, remove the pizza from the oven and spread the rest of the cheese in crumbs, the honey on top and the fresh basil leaves. We serve immediately.
To accompany meats, cheeses and cold cuts, figs confit in Port
This is a recipe that requires your dedication but whose result Worth the effort. Figs confit in Porto are an exquisite delicacy that we can serve with almost any dish, and they gain in flavor as the weeks go by.
- Ingredients. For every kilo of figs: 700 ml of water, 300 ml of Port, 1 kg of sugar, 1 orange peel, 1 clove, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate.
- Elaboration. We will start by piercing the figs with a knitting needle and put them in cold water for twelve hours, changing the water three times. We drain them and put them in boiling water along with the teaspoon of bicarbonate. We cook them for thirty minutes, drain them and reserve. For the syrup we put in a pot 700 ml of water and 300 ml of Port, with 1 kg of sugar, and the orange peel, the cinnamon and a clove. Heat until the sugar dissolves, turn up the heat and bring to a boil for fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat and place the figs in the pot, bringing to a boil again for five minutes over low heat. Turn off the heat and cover the pot, leaving the preparation until the next day. Repeat this boil for five minutes for five more days. Blunt in sterile jars and let stand for two weeks before consuming.
A tasty, healthy and complete dinner: frittata with figs and goat cheese
There are many of us who turn to egg dishes to prepare a quick, nutritious but not too heavy dinner. Frittatas are a great resource for newbies as well, as they are tremendously simple. In this recipe we add fresh figs and goat cheese to give it much more flavor and enjoy the sweet touch of the fruit.
- Ingredients for 2 people. 3 L eggs, 2 hollow whites (or some more whole eggs), 100 ml of liquid cream for cooking or milk, 10 ml of mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, fresh or dried thyme to taste, 5 figs, 40 g of goat cheese, fresh parsley to taste, black pepper, salt and extra virgin olive oil.
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 180º C. If we have a container that can be used on the cooktop and in the oven, we will start cooking over the fire. Otherwise we will have to bake the entire frittata from the beginning. Arrange the eggs with the whites, cream, mustard, turmeric and thyme in a deep bowl and season. Beat everything gently and heat an iron pan or clay pot about 18-20 cm in diameter, with olive oil. Add the egg mixture and let it set at medium heat, about 8-10 minutes. Wash the figs, remove the ends and cut into thin slices. Place the dish in the oven so that the top starts to set, about 3-5 minutes. Carefully remove and distribute the figs, the crumbled cheese and add a thread of oil. Return to the oven for a couple of minutes or until …