Mexico can boast of having delicious foods that are also very beneficial for health. One of them is the chilacayote, a kind of pumpkin with many wonderful properties for you and your family.
We invite you to know its benefits and more information about this food of Mexican origin.
Do not miss: Watermelon, the benefits of this seasonal fruit
What you have to know about the chilacayote
As we mentioned, this is a type of pumpkin, from the cucurbitaceae family, which are characterized by being climbing and creeping plants.
Its name comes from Nahuatl tzilacayotli, tzilac, smooth, and ayotli. pumpkin. That is, “smooth pumpkin”.
The chilacayote is native to Mexico and also to some areas of Central and South America.
This is usually used to prepare dry sweets or in syrup, such as crystallized chilacayotes. And you can also prepare various drinks.
One of the most typical sweets in the Day of the Dead offerings is made from chilacayote, making it one of the most traditional in Mexico.
It may interest you: The benefits of quinoa, do not miss them!
- It is a very rich source of vitamins A, C and iron.
- Its main nutritional contribution is found in its seeds, which are considered an excellent source of fat and protein.
- In a 150-gram serving, there are 19 kilocalories, 3.6 g of carbohydrates, 1.6 g of protein and 0.3 g of lipids.
You are interested: 5 benefits of avocado to use as a beauty product
- It has hypoglycemic properties (lowering of glucose in the blood). Its consumption is recommended to people suffering from type D diabetes.
- It is an excellent antioxidant that prevents various degenerative diseases caused by free radicals, as well as delaying aging.
- It contains very few calories, which makes it excellent for dieters.
- Helps release insulin through the pancreas.
Do you already know everything that the chilacayote can do for your health? Be sure to try this chilacayote cocktail. And discover more information about your favorite healthy foods in Easy Kitchen
And since we love pumpkins, how about making a delicious healthy pumpkin pancake? Today we share this delicious recipe with you. Don’t miss the video and prepare it for yourself and your family today!