Diabetes is one of the most common diseases in Mexico. And food is a very important key to combat it. Therefore, Dr. Alma Membrila, nutritionist and educator in diabetes, shares with us information and tips on diets for diabetes that will help us take care of our health and, in addition, they are delicious.
You are interested: 30 healthy salads for each day of the month
Diets for diabetes: what is this disease and why is a diet needed?
It is a disease that affects the pancreas, which stops producing insulin or produces it insufficiently. Insulin is a hormone that helps us absorb glucose from food or from the liver.
What Causes Diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes, which is the most common, is caused mainly by two factors: modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors. Among those that are modifiable are poor diet, lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, smoking and alcohol consumption.
And the non-modifiable are the inheritance of the closest relatives (parents, grandparents and siblings). The Latino race also has a predisposition at birth with diabetes, the risk of which may increase after the age of 40.
All of these causes are important points to consider in preventing and treating diabetes. However, diet and exercise are key to reducing the risk of diabetes.
Do not miss: The saliva test that detects obesity and diabetes
How many types are there?
There are more than 3 types of diabetes, the main ones are:
- Type 1 diabetes: when the pancreas stops producing insulin because beta cells are attacked. There is no reason to have it and insulin is given from the time of diagnosis.
- Type 2 diabetes: it is caused by risk factors (such as poor diet and lack of exercise). This is the most common in Mexico.
- Gestational diabetes: occurs in pregnancy. Hormones become a bit more sensitive due to poor pre-pregnancy diet. It is diagnosed between week 24 and 28 of gestation. This is temporary and ends with the pregnancy. However, if the necessary care is not taken, it could become irreversible.
What are the symptoms?
They are known as polyphagia (high appetite), polyuria (urge to go to the bathroom), and polydipsia (high thirst).
There are other secondary symptoms, such as vomiting, nausea, general dizziness, dry skin, and lack of healing.
You are interested: What is the DASH diet and why is it recommended for heart health?
Diets for diabetes: is the diet the same for all patients?
A well-controlled diabetes with a good diet and exercise, you should eat a diet equal to that of a person who does not have diabetes. The problem is that a person, with or without diabetes, does not eat well. About all people with diabetes eat the same diet.
Each person will vary depending on various factors, such as age and lifestyle.
What types of foods are staples of diabetes diets?
For anyone, whether or not they have diabetes, the same foods are needed. These are called macronutrients and are proteins (foods of animal origin), carbohydrates (cereals from grains) and fats (avocado, edible oils, creams and seeds). And the micronutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, contained in fruits and vegetables.
You can’t miss: Obesity and diabetes related to sleep disorders
Are there forbidden foods for a person with diabetes?
There are no forbidden foods, but indicated portions. A person with controlled diabetes can eat any type of food, as long as it is an adequate portion.
How far has research progressed to combat this disease?
So far there is no cure for diabetes. However, science and technology have advanced a lot so that patients have 100% control of the disease and live many years without complications.
It may interest you: 5 tips to avoid the rebound effect in the diet
Did you know?
- 7 out of 10 people who are obese will have diabetes, if not they are already people with diabetes, but do not know it.
- There is no age to get diabetes. This will depend a lot on modifiable (lifestyle) and non-modifiable risk factors.
- Insulin is the body’s own hormone that absorbs glucose from food (especially carbohydrates) and glucose from the liver. All patients with diabetes need insulin for optimal glucose absorption.
- You can measure the serving standard for a food with your fist (for example, for a cereal), or a serving measure is a third of a cup.
Lifestyle tips to fight diabetes
- Do not stop doing general studies at least once a year.
- Eat as balanced a diet as possible. Make sure all your meals have one serving of vegetables and no more than one serving of protein. Also a serving of fruit and two servings or 3 maximum of cereals.
- Eat not so sugary desserts, you can use sugar substitutes.
Remember: Before making a modification in your diet, it is very important that you consult with a specialist what are the best foods for you, and the portions you need daily.
Don’t Miss: Working a lot increases your risk of diabetes
Diets for diabetes: recipes
Rich, very nutritious apple and granola cookies
Enjoy without guilt these apple and granola cookies that, in addition to being delicious, are very nutritious. Follow the recipe and prepare them at home.
Very healthy granola bars to make at home
Granola bars are a perfect snack when we want to take care of our health and also lose weight. In addition, they are very easy to make at home. We give you …
Delicious low calorie hibiscus water with cinnamon
In hot weather, a healthy alternative to cool down is hibiscus water. If you want to prepare it in a healthy and delicious way, follow this recipe for hibiscus water with …
Coleslaw and spinach with potatoes
Eating salads has many benefits, as they are easy to prepare, light and with very healthy ingredients. And this delicious coleslaw and spinach with potatoes is no exception. …
Ball tomatoes stuffed with baked potato mash
Delicious! Prepare some delicious ball tomatoes stuffed with instant baked potato mash. Perfect for a delicious and healthy dinner.
Take care of your health with this delicious avocado ice cream
Avocado has very beneficial properties for our body, and it is also a versatile food that can be prepared in many ways. We want to share with you this avocado ice cream, a delicious …
Exquisite soy ceviche that you will love
A good diet is key to taking care of our health and avoiding diseases such as diabetes. If you are looking for healthy and delicious alternatives, this soy ceviche is for you. …
Rich blueberry popsicles to take care of and pamper you
Do you have a craving for a delicious and natural dessert? These rich blueberry popsicles are ideal to take care of your health and also pamper yourself with their delicious flavor. Keep reading…
Healthy Mascarpone Stuffed Strawberry Dessert
Desserts not only cheer our palate, they also put us in a good mood and it has its benefit to include it in our food. If you are taking care of your health, this …
Chicken in oat sauce
Can’t think of anything to do to eat? Our recommendation of the day, Chicken in oatmeal sauce! A new and delicious option. Enjoy your meal! Continue in Easy Kitchen …
Sautéed Asparagus with Parmesan
Start the year with the best of purposes: taking care of your health. And since diet is key to achieving this, we want to share with you this recipe for sautéed asparagus with Parmesan.…