If you want to give more life to your kitchen a terrarium It is the ideal answer to change the decoration. Learn to make it easily.
What is it?
A terrarium is a mini garden for the interior of your home. The special feature of terrariums is that they are grown inside a glass container, which gives them a unique look that perfectly completes the decoration of your home.
One of the advantages of the terrarium is that thanks to the fact that they form a kind of miniature greenhouse, the plants do not require a great deal of work and maintenance, and of course they are an elegant and cute detail for any space.
It may interest you: 5 reasons to have plants in your kitchen
Steps to build your terrarium
- Choose a container: Preferably one that is round with low walls and an opening with a wide diameter, this can be on the top or on the side. Also look for a hole in the bottom so it can drain the water.
- Form the base: Create a layer of about 2.5 cm of white gravel in the bottom of the container.
- Add moss: After the gravel, put a light layer on the bottom of the terrarium to absorb excess water and filter moisture, reserve a little.
- Place the earth: The one that is light and has greater drainage is the best, to check this, take a fist, wet it with a little water and if it crumbles it is perfect. The amount depends on the roots of your plants and the size of the container. Squish gently to even out the surface.
- Choose the plants: Depending on the size of your container will be the number of plants that it will have inside, it can be from 3 to 5 different species. Be sure to do your research on species that can grow together, are low-sun, hardy, and tolerate moisture. The most used are: ferns, cacti and succulents.
- To plant: Dig small holes in the soil of the terrarium, remove the plants from their containers, shake their roots to remove excess soil and distribute them in the holes. Cover the base by patting the soil gently.
- More moss: Forms a top layer, after putting in the soil and plants.
- Decorate: Use colored stones, shells, white gravel and exploit your creativity to give your terrarium its own style.
- Water: Pour water until the stones below are wet, it is not about flooding the earth.
It may interest you: How to make your garden at home if you have little space
- Use gloves when making your terrarium.
- If your tank or bowl doesn’t have a bottom hole for water, add a couple of tablespoons of activated charcoal to keep the soil cool.
- Take care that the leaves of your plants do not touch the walls of the container and have enough space.
- Water sparingly, not daily but at least every 3-4 days.
- If your terrarium is very small, use tweezers to place your plants.
Look for more Tips in Easy Kitchen