No, it is not an onion! Its about shallot, a food with a great taste and that also has great health benefits. If you have not tried it yet, we confess that you are missing a lot.
Read on and discover everything that shallots offer you to cook, and also to take care of yourself!
It may interest you: Why do we cry when we split onion?
What is shallot?
They are also known as shallots or chalots, and these are edible bulbs that belong to the Liliaceae family, which is the same as that of onions and garlic.
However, these have very specific properties and also a unique flavor, which is why they are fashionable in the world of gastronomy.
Despite its resemblance to garlic and onion, shallot is very easy to identify: it is like an elongated onion and larger than garlic, with a reddish salmon color that goes pink.
Its aroma is very similar to that of garlic, and its flavor has sweet, spicy and acid notes.
Do not miss: Black garlic: 7 reasons to consume it this season
Properties: it is rich in flavonoids and polyphenols, dietary fiber and vitamins A, C, B6, as well as minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus and manganese.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties, ideal for treating muscle aches, in addition to treating fluid retention.
- It is rich in antioxidants that reduce free radical damage and aging. In addition, they also take care of the health of the heart, as they protect the cardiovascular system and control cholesterol levels in the blood.
- It also has detoxifying power, as its consumption helps eliminate toxins from the digestive tract and liver.
- On the other hand, they help to appease food sensitivities.
You are interested: How nutritious is black onion?
How to take advantage of shallot in the kitchen?
- We have good news for you about shallot: unlike garlic and onion, this food does not cause bad breath, so you can enjoy it raw or cooked, alone or accompanied.
- They are very popular glazes to accompany various strong dishes.
- You can also try them raw in a salad and sautéed for a stew like wallpaper poultry or fish.
- And if you want to try something different, substitute the onion or garlic with shallot. You will love the result!
Discover more beneficial foods for your health and nutrition in Easy Kitchen
Subscribe to your favorite magazines at susubscription.com