When it comes to cooking, it is very common for us to think about peeling those foods that have a shell. However, skipping this step could bring great benefits to your health. That’s how it is: eat vegetables and fruits in the shell it has great benefits.
If you find it hard to believe, read on and find out why you should leave the peeler in the drawer the next time you’re cooking something. You will not regret.
You are interested: 5 tips to cook healthier
The shell: a treasure for our health
Perhaps we think that the peel must be removed from food because the pulp is the valuable thing in the fruit and where the nutrients are concentrated. The truth is that the food covering also stores a large number of elements that are very good for our health.
Properties of the peels that you can find in various fruits
- Apple: its peel contains substances called triterpenoids, which inhibit and / or kill cancer cells.
- Grape: it has resveratrol, a substance that prevents premature aging.
- Tangerine: although it is true that you cannot chew it, experts recommend crushing it to include it in smoothies. Its component, salvestrol, fights various types of cancer.
- Pineapple: like the mandarin, you can take advantage of it in smoothies. This peel has a purifying action that helps you lose weight.
- Pomegranate: it is very rich in beta-carotenes, potassium, phosphorus and calcium. To consume it, let it dry in the sun, blend it and include it in drinks.
- Banana: this peel is rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins that protect your skin. Cut it into pieces and include it in a smoothie with the pulp of the same fruit.
- Cucumber: it is rich in fiber and relieves constipation.
- Potato: it has a high content of phosphorus, potassium, iron, sulfur, vitamin C and copper, all components necessary for the vital functions of the organism. Any more reason to stop peeling them?
- Pumpkin: it is rich in fiber, vitamins and carotenoids.
- Carrot: it is rich in minerals and antioxidants, in addition to having a rich content of vitamin A.
Other reasons to eat shell foods
You generate less waste
As you may have noticed, it is very worth conserving the shells of many of the foods you eat, and not only for your health, but you also reduce the generation of more waste.
The peels of the food keep a treasure is not worth ending up in the trash. Better to take advantage of them in your meals. Eat peels = more health, less waste.
It’s great to know that, in addition to taking care of your health, you are doing your bit to take care of the environment, don’t you think?
You are interested in: Seasonal fruits and vegetables per month
You save time in the kitchen
Those precious minutes you spend peeling food can be saved by skipping that annoying step. Lose the fear of eating with peels: it is practical, healthy, delicious and friendly with nature.
Learn more health and nutrition tips at Easy Kitchen