Without a doubt, we cannot talk about Mexican gastronomy without the Corn tortillas, that’s why we invite you to know its benefits and history.
Tortillas are an emblem of Mexico and we all love them, they are the perfect companion to most meals and the best thing is that they are very good for a healthy diet, thanks to the fact that they provide us with a large amount of energy.
You are interested in: How to make tortillas easily
History of corn tortillas
They are part of the basic basket of Mexicans since pre-Hispanic times, corn was one of the bases of the diet of pre-Columbian cultures.
The name of tortilla was given to them from the Conquest, at the beginning they were only described as corn bread, but over time they were called tortilla, derived from Nahuatl tlaxcalli, although in each culture it was called differently according to the dialect.
The process of making a tortilla is known as nixtamalization, what is done is shelling the corn, then it is cooked in water with lime until the grains soften, it is left to rest for 12 hours and it is ground to produce a manageable mass.
Finally, small balls of dough are formed that are flattened and cooked on a griddle on both sides.
Do not miss: Who invented the machine to produce tortillas in series?
Nutritional contribution of a corn tortilla
- 64 calories
- 1.4 grams of protein
- 0.5 grams of fat
- 13.6 grams of carbohydrate
- 0.6 grams of fiber
You are interested: Learn how to prepare wheat flour tortillas
11 Benefits of corn tortillas
- It is a good source of fiber which improves digestion.
- They provide a large amount of calcium, perfect for the health of the skeletal system, it even helps to develop healthy teeth.
- It is low in fat and calories.
- Contains beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that fights free radicals.
- Thanks to its folic acid, it improves the health of nails and hair, as well as being essential for pregnant women.
- Its vitamin B improves the general functioning of the body’s cells.
- It is a natural source of energy, thanks to the large amount of carbohydrates it has.
- Its consumption is recommended for athletes as they improve performance.
- They contain niacin, which helps keep the skin and nervous system in good condition.
- If consumed in moderation it does not affect weight, the recommendation is not to exceed 3 tortillas per day.
- Helps prevent osteoporosis and other bone-related conditions.
Discover more health and nutrition tips in Easy Kitchen