The squash is one of the healthiest vegetables in America, we invite you to discover the reasons why you should add it to your diet.
It may interest you: Mango: 6 benefits of the Indian fruit
What is chayote?
The chayote, also known as Chinese potato or guatila, is characterized by having a green color and by growing on a climbing plant, whose stems can be up to 15 m long. Although the best known are light green, there are also dark green and light yellow, there is even a species with thorns.
Another of its characteristics is that when it is tender it has a thinner and smoother shell, and inside it has a broad and flat seed, called a seed, which is also edible.
You’re interested: Delicious and nutritious recipes with chayote to make quickly at home
Benefits of eating this vegetable
You will love knowing everything that chayote offers you. From this moment on, you will not hesitate to include it more often in your meals:
- It provides a large amount of fiber that helps regulate digestion and fights constipation.
- Avoid liquid retention.
- Its vitamin C helps strengthen the body’s defenses and prevents respiratory diseases.
- Its minerals such as calcium and iron help development in general.
- It is especially recommended for pregnant women and people with bone problems.
- Its potassium helps regulate blood pressure levels.
- Contains flavonoid antioxidants that fight free radicals.
- It has few calories, so it is very good for losing weight.
- Reduces cholesterol levels.
- Its vitamin B2 and iron are ideal for preventing anemia.
Discover more health and nutrition tips in Easy Kitchen
And don’t miss the following video, where we show you which are the best foods to strengthen your defenses: