Barbecue is already a traditional Sunday meal. Are you from this team? So this information you cannot miss, more delicious recipes to enjoy.
The barbecue in Mexico is a food that we boast in many gastronomic traditions. We love to eat barbecue Sunday morning. If you are also part of this tradition, you have to keep reading everything about this delicacy.
You are interested: Are carnitas tacos really healthier than a granola bar?
Barbecue: the origin of this delicacy
The barbecue, more than a saucer, is the term that refers to the traditional method to prepare a great diversity of meats, and its origin is pre-Columbian. It is basically a well in the ground that will serve as an oven to cook the meat.
The origin of the name is not known for sure, as it is not Hispanic nor does it come from a indigenous language. However, already in the eighteenth century dictionaries the term was used for this cooking method.
Currently, the barbecue is more associated with the consumption of sheep meat, either in tacos, flutes and other appetizers, often accompanied by consommé.
It may interest you: Roast beef skirt with barbecue sauce
Barbecue or BBQ: What meats are prepared with this method?
It depends a lot on the region, and the truth is that there is a great variety of meats to prepare barbecue. The most popular are:
- Sheep: State of Mexico, Hidalgo and neighboring regions.
- Chicken: Mexico City and neighboring states.
- Beef: North of Mexico (Coahuila and Chihuahua).
- Kid: North of mexico
- Goat: Central Highlands (Guanajuato and Hidalgo)
- Rabbit: Puebla, Hidalgo and Querétaro.
- Pig: Southern Mexico (Chiapas).
- Deer: Sinaloa.
- Iguana: Morelos.
- Fish: Coast zones.
Find Out: Burgundy Fondue and Barbecue and Bernese Sauces
You are interested: History of the mixiote and three delicious ways to prepare it
Some curiosities of this dish
- It is one of the favorite foods of Mexican families to eat on weekends (some admit that it is very good to cure the hangover).
- Mesoamerican cultures also used this method to cook corn.
- In the 19th century, it was customary for people to eat barbecue in autumn and winter, due to the calories in the dish, ideal to face the cold. However, in the s. XX became a typical dish all year round.
- To cook the meat, banana leaves or tender maguey stalks are used.
- In Coahuila it is the typical dish to celebrate a wedding and in the Christmas parties and New Year.
- The barbecue is considered an artisan method to cook meat. In fact, it has a symbolic and ritual value when preparing it in the indigenous cosmogony.
- Oak is the ideal firewood to prepare this meat and which, according to experts, gives it a very special flavor.
- It takes a whole day to prepare a traditional barbecue. The process ranges from digging the 1.5 m deep hole, to collecting the meat and its juice underground.
You can read: Barbecue in a small space
Recipes to prepare at home
BBQ tacos for you to prepare at home
It doesn’t matter if it’s not the weekend, any day is a good day for you to whip up some barbecue tacos! And here we show you how.
Learn how to prepare the best beef barbecue
Sundays cannot be complete without a traditional barbecue taquito, learn how to prepare the best beef barbecue. Tips for consuming beef in a healthy way Avoid …
100% homemade chicken barbecue
Enjoy an original and authentic 100% homemade chicken barbecue. Read on and learn how to prepare it to surprise your whole family. Tips for your chicken barbecue …