Through the flavor of this recipe we transport you directly to the Yucatan Peninsula, where there is a dish that cannot go unnoticed: the cochinita pibil tacos.
Today we bring this delicious recipe straight to your kitchen so you can enjoy it and celebrate the national month with this delicacy from southern Mexico. To enjoy!
You are interested: 8 different ways to prepare and taste cochinita pibil
COCHINITA PIBIL TACOS RECIPE
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 kg solid pork
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 3 sliced habanero peppers
- 1 achiote cube
- 3 hydrated guajillo chili peppers
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. dried bay leaves
- 4 lemons
- 1 red onion filleted
Don’t Miss: These Grilled Fish Tacos Are The Best You’re Going To Try
- Blend the juice, achiote, guajillo, vinegar, oregano, bay leaf and salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the meat in a pressure cooker and cook for 30 minutes.
- Combine the onion, chili, vinegar, and oregano in a bowl.
- Serve the suckling pig in tacos, accompany with the apple onion and finish with coriander leaves.
You’re interested in: Healthy snacks: fish tacos with guacamole
HISTORY OF THE COCHINITA PIBIL
The origins of this delicacy date back to pre-Hispanic times, in the state of Yucatán, when it was customary to prepare it as an offering for important celebrations, mainly for the Day of the Dead known as Hanal Pixán.
At first, pheasant, wild boar or venison meat was used and cooked in the earth oven called GDP. With the Spanish conquest, that meat was replaced by pork, which is why it is said that the final recipe is like many Mexican dishes, the mixture of pre-Hispanic traditions, in this case of the Mayan culture with Spanish products.
Since then, the cochinita pibil has been prepared throughout the country as one of the favorite dishes and especially representative of the state of Yucatan. Currently it is prepared in different ways such as tacos or cakes but the base remains the same.
Long live Mexico and its cochinita tacos too! Learn more recipes of this delicious and traditional dish in Easy cook