One of the favorite snacks to prepare at home are the onion rings. If this is the first time you are going to make them, you cannot miss these 5 super delicious recipes, perfect for your party or an afternoon of movies.
You are interested in: Delicious and healthy snacks to enjoy with the family
Onion rings: a mystery in history
The origin of onion rings is not known for sure. His first appearance was in 1933, on one of the pages of the New York Times.
However, the famous Pig Stand restaurant claims to be the inventor of onion rings, which he says dates back to the 1920s. However, there is insufficient evidence for this.
Some curiosities of this snack
- In 1802 there was a recipe very similar to onion rings, called “fried onions with Parmesan cheese”, which had a very similar preparation.
- The ideal onions to prepare this snack are white, but there are those who prefer to enjoy them with purple onions (it’s all a matter of experimenting).
- Believe it or not, there are onion ring flavored pills! They are only available on the Internet (would you try them)
- The onion plant sleeps! This is a quality that some types of plant possess, called dormancy. Plants take a resting posture that helps them save energy, especially in unstable weather conditions.
- Every year, in the Swiss city of Bern, they celebrate the Zibelemärit or Onion Market. This with the aim that the producers show their products, as well as curious exhibitions of onions dressed in an artistic way, and delicious dishes with this ingredient (there are no doubt that there are many onion rings out there).
You’re interested in: Tips and recipes to make the best party snacks
- It contains one of the most powerful antioxidants, quercetin, which helps prevent osteoporosis.
- Other antioxidants, such as vitamin C, together with quercetin, fight free radicals and reduce the chances of developing cancer by strengthening the immune system.
- Its antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory qualities make onion an adjunct in the treatment of colds, nasal congestion, infections and some pain caused by inflammation.
- The prebiotics present in onion offer great benefits by promoting the development of beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that help digestion.
- The active components of onion, allicin and allin, have antithrombotic properties (prevent the formation of blood clots) and contribute to the reduction of blood pressure. Great!
- Research done in the UK showed that its thiosulfinates (sulfur compounds responsible for its smell) protect against cardiovascular disease.
Onion rings with mayonnaise dressing
Have a great time with these Onion Rings with Mayonnaise Dressing, made by you. We give you the recipe.
Movie afternoon? Enjoy them with these crispy onion rings
Nothing like a delicious snack to have a good time watching your favorite movies. If your plan is not to leave the house (not even to the corner store) …
Vegan menu: onion rings and pumpkins
We have a special recipe for your next dinner at home. Meet one of our vegan menus: onion rings and pumpkins, an excellent starter or dish that goes very well …
Beer onion rings
Learn how to prepare this delicacy for a gathering with family or friends: they are the best onion rings with beer ever! We made this recipe with Reina beer …
Onion rings with beer to prepare at home
Whether for snacking or to accompany your meals, onion rings with beer will always have that incredible touch that will make them delicious and very irresistible.