When we need a cuddle, nothing better than sweet tamales, accompanied by a warm atole. Can you imagine starting your mornings like this, or do you prefer it at dinner time?
Whatever your decision, today we bring you 16 recipes with the sweet taste that you love so much. They will be your darlings for Candlemas Day!
It may interest you: The most popular Mexican tamales, get to know them!
Sweet or savory tamales … wrapped with a lot of tradition
Chili, sweet mole, coastal or Oaxacan? There is a whole culture of this rich food, so ours and special in every part of the country. We share interesting facts about one of the most important dishes in Mexico:
- Tamale comes from Nahuatl tamalli, which means “wrapped.”
- There is a custom of pouring coins into the bottom of the tamalera or steamer: if you hear them jump, it means that you have to put water in the pot so that they continue cooking.
- According to certain traditions, if the one who beats the dough for the tamales is in a bad mood, they will be “pinto” or “sour”; that is, undercooked. According to this custom, that is why tamales are made as a family, to laugh, talk and be in good spirits while they are being prepared.
- There is the tamale without dough! It is called mextlapique, and it is a tamale made only from charales.
- The grid at the bottom has corn husks that form a kind of mat. To cook them, they are placed in layers: the first is cooked for 10 minutes, then the next for the same time and so on until finished. This prevents those below from deforming and supporting the weight of others.
Do not miss: The 7 tamales you must try in Latin America
Many types of tamales, different masses
There are many ways to make tamales, and by their mass they can be differentiated:
- Whipped dough: they have whipped lard, corn dough and are wrapped in corn or banana leaves. This is how corundas, ollita, pinto or tarasco are prepared.
- With sifted flour: its mixture of flours, lard and butter form sweet or salty flavors. The rajas tamales, those of sweet, those of rice or mole belong to this classification.
- Scrambled dough: they have corn and a fat that can be butter, oil or pork rinds. The chiapaneco tamale, with chicharrón or chaya from Tabasco is served.
- With special dough: they can go with dough or without it! They are tamales with a particular preparation. The uchepos, the mextlapiques or the corn roll have this type of dough in their preparation.
You are interested: Learn about the millenary history of the tamale
Sweet tamales recipes
Sweet delicacy tamales
Do you want something rich and traditional? We bring you these delicious sweet delicacy tamales that will leave you with a very good taste in your mouth.
How to make sweet tamales with nuts
Without much inspiration for this February 2? We share how to make sweet tamales with nuts that will make you fall in love.
Tamale recipe with sweet blackberry flavor
This recipe for sweet blackberry flavored tamales is the most delicious you can prepare. Learn how to prepare it today!
Sweet vanilla and nutty tamales recipe
This recipe for sweet vanilla and nutty tamales will make you very happy with its combination of flavors. Follow the step by step!
Traditional pineapple tamales
You are about to try the richest traditional pineapple tamales, made by you! Follow the step by step and prepare them at home.
Sweet banana tamale
We are sure that everyone will be a fan of these delicious and sweet banana tamales, topped with cajeta.
Delicious chocolate tamale with walnut and banana
Enjoy the delicious and sweet flavor of an authentic chocolate tamale with walnut and banana. It will surely be one of your favorite flavors.
Sweet peach, blueberry and coconut flavored tamales
Share with all your family and friends a delicious recipe. For the little ones or those who are not lovers of spicy, we bring these delicious sweet tamales with peach, …
Blackberry and cream cheese tamale
We all love waking up to a delicious breakfast and this recipe for blackberry tamale and cream cheese has the perfect combination to fill your mornings with flavor. Learn to…
Chocolate tamale with walnut
Prepare a delicious chocolate nut tamale to pamper the little ones in the house or all those who prefer a sweet taste. Types of tamales Tamales …
Do not dream any more of creating extravagant flavors in your favorite foods, better make it come true like with this delicious chocolate tamales, the sweet and rich flavor that so much …
Sweet corn tamale
For those who love sweets, there is no better food that gives us this flavor than a good sweet corn tamale, a real delight wherever it is …
Tamales with pineapple
Our favorite part about tamales is that no matter what ingredient they are mixed with, they will always taste super delicious and one of the sweet flavors that we like the most …
Are you looking for something and rich and not over calories for breakfast? How about a blueberry tamale? We are sure that you have never tried them before, go ahead and …
Passion fruit tamales
Prepare for your family a delicious recipe for passion fruit tamales that are to die for. Curiosities of the tamales Its name comes from the Nahuatl Tamalli, which means wrapped.…
Vanilla tamale with strawberries
If you are one of those who prefer sweet things or are looking for a recipe for your children, you need to prepare a delicious vanilla tamale with strawberries. Types of tamales Oaxacan Tamales: Facts …