The pico de gallo It is one of the favorite sauces of Mexicans: it enhances the flavor of different dishes, such as muffins, tacos and even as a filling in different snacks, which also makes it ideal to be served at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
In addition, this Mexican sauce (characterized by its national colors) is very healthy, as it contains 3 super foods that cannot be missing from our diet: serrano chili, onion and tomato.
What else? It’s very easy to do! And now that you know that it combines with many dishes, we invite you to know the recipes with which you can enjoy all its flavor. Keep reading!
It may interest you: What are the mother sauces of gastronomy and how are they prepared?
Pico de gallo: a very peculiar traditional sauce
- The pico de gallo, unlike other sauces, the ingredients are not crushed in molcajete or smoothies, but cut into Brunoise.
- Although its base ingredients are tomato, onion and serrano pepper, there are many variants of this sauce and they can include other accessories, such as coriander, avocado, oregano, cumin, and lime or lemon juice.
- It is not a dish itself, but a kind of dressing that accompanies other dishes.
- It is also ideal for snacking: it can be eaten only with tortilla chips and it is delicious.
- Did you know that it is also known as “flag sauce”? The reason is more than obvious.
Don’t miss: roasted red sauce prepared and served in molcajete
Curiosities about his name
The origin of the name of this sauce is not clear. However, there are several versions:
- According to him Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mexican Gastronomy, this sauce is associated with the food with which the poultry is fed (with pieces of food).
- According to the version of the writer Sharon Tyler Herbst, it is so called because originally people ate it by pinching portions between the thumb and forefinger, forming with their hand the figure of a rooster.
- Finally, in Sonora, there is the idea that the sauce bears that name because the serrano pepper resembles the shape of a pico de gallo. What do you think?
You are interested: Delicious recipe with Tabasco sauce that you cannot miss
Recipes with pico de gallo
Garlic bread with cheese and pico de gallo
The snacks have arrived! And the most delicious for this Super Bowl is a garlic bread with cheese and pico de gallo. Get him ready for the big game!
Chicken tacos al pastor with pico de gallo
Sunday is to enjoy delicious flavors, such as these carne al pastor de pollo con pico de gallo tacos. Learn how to prepare them!
Argentine chorizo with beans, pico de gallo and cheddar
You’ll love today’s snack: try this Argentine chorizo with beans, pico de gallo and cheddar, ideal for the center of the table.
Sweet potatoes stuffed with pico de gallo
No original ideas for lunchtime? These sweet potatoes stuffed with pico de gallo will conquer your palate and your heart.
Cream cheese ball with pork rinds and pico de gallo
Serve this original snack for your meeting. We show you how to prepare this ball of cream cheese with pork rinds and pico de gallo.
Fried fish tacos with pico de gallo
Start Lent with the most delicious fried fish tacos with pico de gallo. We give you the step by step to make them at home.
Spanish chorizo skewers with pineapple and pico de gallo
Make these Spanish chorizo skewers with pineapple and pico de gallo very easily and quickly. It is the perfect combination!
Recipe with flank steak and pico de gallo with corn
Give your favorite cut of meat a twist by preparing this recipe with flank steak and pico de gallo with corn. Take note!
Roast beef quesadilla with pico de gallo and cream
Do not miss the step by step to prepare this roast beef quesadilla with pico de gallo and cream. They will become your favorites!
Fish tacos zarandeado with pico de gallo
We invite you to try one of the most delicious dishes in Nayarit: the zarandeado fish tacos with pico de gallo. Learn how to prepare them!
Ensenada style fish tacos with mango pico de gallo
The most delicious moment has arrived! You’re going to fall in love with these Ensenada style fish tacos with mango pico de gallo. To enjoy!
Chicken breaded with pork rinds and pico de gallo with beans, irresistible!
Breaded chicken has never been so delicious, you have to try it with pork rinds and pico de gallo! We share this irresistible recipe with you.
Hot dog with pico de gallo, a very practical delicacy!
You have to admit it: there is no more delicious and practical snack than a hot dog. Here we bring you a delicious proposal that you are going to love: hot dog with pico de gallo.…
Pico de gallo muffins with mango
Mango pico de gallo molletes are a classic Mexican breakfast that you must try sometime in your life. We love this recipe because the mango gives you …
How to make guacamole with pico de gallo
If you like Mexican food and are exploring its recipes, today we will explain how to make guacamole with pico de gallo. Read on and discover what ingredients are necessary to prepare this sauce.