In Mexico everything tastes good, and we have a gastronomic heritage worth showing off. And you can not miss the recipes with corn, a very representative food of our country.
That’s why we share these 12 recipes with corn, delicious and ideal to share. So put your shirt on, and get them all ready!
You are interested: How to make corn tortillas easily
Why we love corn
In Mexico it was domesticated more than five thousand years ago, possibly in what is now the state of Oaxaca, and it became the main source of energy in the Mesoamerican diet.
Currently, 3,500 different uses of corn are known, and although most are for food preparation, it is also used in the form of teas and poultices.
The National Institute of Nutrition estimates that corn contributes about 10% of the protein required in the daily diet. It is an ideal cereal to combat high cholesterol levels, it is rich in fiber and a highly energetic food.
Facts about corn you should know
- It is sown throughout Mexico, mainly for self-consumption.
- Its temporality is the whole year.
- It is composed of 23.4% carbohydrates, 3.7% protein and 1.5% fat
- There are more than 150 Creole varieties. The main ones are the tuxpeño, tepecín, olosillo, olotón and comiteco.
- Although it was domesticated in the country, Mexico is the fourth largest producer in the world after the US, China and Brazil. In Mexico there are two production systems: commercial and self-consumption.
- The grain has a caloric intake of 326 kcal. per 100 grams.
- Prepared as a gruel, it protects the intestinal mucosa. In the form of an omelette, it strengthens bones and lowers blood glucose.
- To improve its resistance and performance, its genome was decoded in CINVESTAV and work is being done on its genetic improvement.
You are interested: Pre-Hispanic recipes with corn: a delicious and traditional heritage
Types of corn
Although there are more than 150 creole varieties, there are 3 main ones that you should know: yellow, white and blue. Which prefer?
- Hard or toothed, of medium grain and with a pale yellow hue, which is intensified when cooked with lime.
- Mainly destined for livestock consumption due to its pigments and the production of starches.
- It has more sugar than the other types, in addition to being rich in vitamin A.
- Hard or toothed, slightly pale white in color.
- It is grown almost exclusively for human consumption.
- It is traditionally used to make tortillas and tamales in the Gulf, southeastern and central states of Mexico, although it is also used to consume oils.
- Generic name for navy blue, black, gray or dark green varieties. It is very nutritive.
- It produces a dark blue mass, which is used mainly in Mexico City and the states of Hidalgo, Mexico, Puebla and Morelos to make tortillas.
Corundas with red sauce and cheese
Corundas are a traditional dish that you can prepare today. We share the traditional recipe for you to enjoy at home.
Sweet corn cream
We have a very special recipe to pamper you: prepare this sweet corn cream, perfect for lunch or dinner.
Corn atole with almonds
Who doesn’t fancy a rich atoll overnight? We loved trying this corn atole with almonds, perfect to get into a pleasant warmth …
Two-Step Vegan Chipotle Popcorn
Before you just pressed a button to eat popcorn, there was a fairly simple and homemade technique that allowed you to savor this delicious snack. Today put this into practice …
Esquites recipe with pork rinds, really irresistible!
If you are a fan of Mexican snacks, you cannot miss the opportunity to try these recipe with pork rinds, very easy and quick to prepare. They are irresistible! Do you want to try them? …
Esquites with marrow recipe, extremely tasty
Esquites are a treat that we love to prepare at home, because we can make them to our liking and they are very easy to make. Have you already tried preparing some skis with marrow? …
Gluten-free corn fettuccine with pumpkin flower
This gluten-free corn fettuccine with pumpkin blossom will make you crave so much just by looking at it, even if you don’t have celiac disease, you’ll crave it; prepare this incredible …
Gluten-free corn pasta with asparagus
There are many options for everyone to enjoy their favorite foods without restrictions, here are some very useful ideas to renew flavors in the diet so that no one stays …
Many people enjoy the flavor of pork pozole more, because it is precisely this ingredient that gives a different flavor to one of the most famous dishes of …
Granny’s Chicken Tamale
Happiness is having granny’s delicious chicken tamale for breakfast because it tastes great, it’s warm and you can accompany it with a pot of coffee, but have you ever wondered how many …
Pozole style salad, you have to try it
Today we want to teach you how to prepare a pozole style salad. Write down the ingredients you need and dare to try this delicious recipe. According to the Mexican Institute of Social Security …
Hot corn cakes for your breakfast
When we plan breakfast, it is inevitable not to think of some delicious pancakes. If you are looking to prepare them in an original way, do not miss these hot corn cakes. We tell you …