The onion It belongs to the genus Allium, the most important of the Liliaceae family, which includes more than 500 species, can you believe it?
In addition, the onion is a vegetable that generates underground thickenings of the stem, popularly known as bulbs, and they are rich in highly volatile and pungent sulfurized essential oils.
It may interest you: Black garlic: 7 reasons to consume it this season
How important is consuming onion for our health? Here we explain it to you
1. It is made up of vitamins A, B, C, folic acid, sulfur, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, iron, iodine, potassium, zinc, and sodium.
Benefits of onion for your health
two. It contains one of the most powerful antioxidants, quercetin, which helps prevent osteoporosis.
3. Other antioxidants, such as vitamin C, together with quercetin, fight free radicals and reduce the chances of developing cancer by strengthening the immune system.
Four. Its antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory qualities make onion an adjunct in the treatment of colds, nasal congestion, infections and some pain caused by inflammation.
5. The prebiotics present in onion offer great benefits by promoting the development of beneficial bacteria (probiotics) that help digestion.
6. The active components of onion, allicin and allin, have antithrombotic properties (prevent the formation of clots in the blood) and contribute to the reduction of blood pressure. Great!
7. Research done in the UK showed that its thiosulfinates (sulfur compounds responsible for its smell) protect against cardiovascular disease.
Don’t Miss: Stronger Nails With Onion!
Benefits for your beauty
8. First, it acts in a general way on the skin, helping to heal and regenerate it.
9. In scars, its extract applied topically can improve collagen in the area to be treated, especially with regard to its color, not so much in shape and texture.
10. Also, a high level of sulfur in collagen tissues helps prevent hair loss and hair thinning problems.
You are interested: Types of onions with which you can cook
What is the best way to consume onion
You can eat it in different dishes, raw, roasted, or cooked. It is a very versatile ingredient to accompany any other food. Raw red onion contains the highest amount of antioxidants (quercetin).
Try this easy recipe
Infusion for colds
1 piece of onion
4 tsp honey
1 liter of water
You can’t miss: Tips for cooking with onions from a professional
1. Boil the onion in 1 liter of water, add 4 teaspoons of honey, stir and then drink the infusion.
Note: Some drugs that can react with the components of this food are aspirin, diabetes pills, anticoagulants and antiplatelets, and lithium.